Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Head Light wiring

Hi Everybody This is Jerry, can somebody that has a 80-82 hatch or wagon test the wiring on the head lights. On my 80 hatch it has 1 square head light on each side BUt i have a 84 wiring harrness in my hatch that is suppose to have duals lights. I need to know when you look at the plug in on the left is a black wire on top is red with black stripe and on the right side of the plug in is a red with white stripe. I need to know whitch is ground and what is low beam and what is high beam. I have to use relays to operate my head lights. Could somebody get back to me on this one please. Thanks Jerry

Jerry, it seems to me you could use a test light to figure out what is what on the wiring. Turning on the low beams will deliver voltage to one wire and ground will always be low. Then turn on the high beam and see what color is on. I would guess the black is ground.

Actually, the power feed to the headlights is always there. Subaru controls the grounds for these circuits with the headlight switch.

Ifin I remember correctly, the plugs are poled different between the single and dual headlight systems. That means that you need to move the wires in the connectors around. Been awhile since I've done this on any car, but it's doable.

Have you got this figured out yet?

__ Red with Black

Red with Yellow | | Red with Blue

Pass Side --------------- Driver side

of connector ----------- of connector

Sorry to take so long in getting this up here. Brain is on vacation somewhere. Wish I was with it, where ever that be.

Edit: this is from my '82 BRAT. And it didn't post out exactly as I typed it, but thinking it gets the picture across.

2nd edit: trying to clean it up a bit.