Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need info on EJ18 - EJ22 parts

I just got a free EJ18 motor.

Upon pick up we noticed that someone dropped the engine and the oil pan and the pass side timing gear is damaged.

Will the parts from an EJ22 fit? The EJ22 are plentiful here but it really hard to find a EJ18.

Thanks in advance.

BW

No specific knowledge, but I believe so. BTW, if the EJ22 is so plentiful, why go with the EJ18? Just free?

Pretty much. I also know the history of the car. Like I said it was free and this was something that we just discovered as we were putting it into the BRAT.

BW

How badly damaged is that cam gear? The EJs have a pretty substantial cam sprocket (compared to the stamped sheet metal of the EA82s), and I would be concerned about the force bing transmitted to the camshaft or cam housing extension (or whatever the heck that carrier between the head and cam sprocket is called).

excellent.

Northwet the timing sprocket has a definate flat spot on it. and the oil pan looks like Conan the Barbarian smashed it w/a war hammer.

Dr. Rx thanks for the info.

Of to the J/Y I go.

BW