Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Twin Stick EA81 w/pics

s'ko

Here is the idea

82 BRAT, EJ18, 4sp D/R tranny w/2wlo mod. EA82 engine crossmember w/4 inch lift. Re-drilled Jeep Wagoneer rims and 28-29 inch tires.

I completed the twin stick mod and will post pictures.

Picked up the engine today but I found out that the oil pan and the pass side timing gear/pulley was damaged.

Here's to hoping that I can get everything done by the end of year.

I completed the twin stick mod and will post pictures.
Not to push you if you would rather wait until pics are posted' date=' but did you create a setup that can be shifted on the fly (quickly) or is it a 'delicate system' that would be best operated at a stop or low speeds? -[cruiosity']

Also, I dig the EJ18 and 4SPD D/R concept. . . Can't wait to see pictures and hear results of this project

Not to push you if you would rather wait until pics are posted, but did you create a setup that can be shifted on the fly (quickly) or is it a 'delicate system' that would be best operated at a stop or low speeds? -[cruiosity]

Here is a quick write up of the twin stick

on an EA81, the dual range is located at the front of the tranny on the driver's side. The 4wd is located near the gear shifter pivot point. There is a plate there w/4 bolts that covers this area. The two systems are connected by a small rod that exits the front of the plate area and connects to a rod.

Here is the hi lo rod disconnected at the shifter.DSC00303.jpg

I punched out the pin on the collar holding the rod coming from the plate area. I actually had to saw the pin in half b/c it was hitting the tranny housing and would not go through all of the way.

DSC00304.jpg

Once the collar was removed from the small rod, I reconnected it to the hi lo shifter and I welded a bolt to a metal rod. The bolt was then secured to the collar w/a nut.

DSC00309.jpg

yeah the welds look crappy... but it holds.

Here is a video of the shifter engaging.

http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j208/boswan/?action=view&current=MOV00310.flv

There is a bend in the end of the rod that goes into the cabin. The idea is to place it right next to the 4wd shifter rod and then secure it so that it moves forward and back.

This was done a spare tranny so I am not sure if it is "sensitive" I do know that with the currently d/r tranny in the BRAT I was able to shift into 4th and clutch in and then pull the 4wd lever to lo and it would engage w/o any issues. This was going about 20 or so.

Well hope that helps.

BW

Dude, do yourself a favour and do the 5spd dual-range ( ea82 L-series ) gearbox instead of the 4spd. I've got my EJ18 hooked up that gearbox and it's sweet as!

Currently my 4x4 selector is a rod that sticks out beside the gearstick. Is pretty much a case of all the way out ( 2wd ) or all the way in ( 4wd lo ) is too sensitive that way to do anything else. I'll be doing something better for a selector sometime soon.

very slick.

you should think about going to the ej22, they are just as cheap as an ej18 and way more common. I'm not sure what they make at the crank, but a friends 1.8 impreza made 63hp at the wheels.:( the ej22 should be a straight long block swap with all the ej18 stuff, and maybe have more power as the ej18 has no knock sensor and aggressive timing curves.

i thought the title of this post was, Twinstick EA81 w/Pics

not "you should have went with an EJ22" or "should have done it to a D/R 5sp..."

not a single person has said. man thats awesome... good idea... i should have thought of that...

but I for one, do think that is awesome. and haveing seen it done. i may try to do it myself.

just my $0.02

-=Suberdave=-

http://www.suberdave.com

"smack",right on.

i thought the title of this post was, Twinstick EA81 w/Pics

not "you should have went with an EJ22" or "should have done it to a D/R 5sp..."

not a single person has said. man thats awesome... good idea... i should have thought of that...

but I for one, do think that is awesome. and haveing seen it done. i may try to do it myself.

just my $0.02

-=Suberdave=-

www.suberdave.com

Started out as a BRAT swap thread, but people seem interested in the twin stick idea so I retitled it.

Good news about the timing belt gear. Upon further inspection the gear itself it ok, the metal rim that helps keep the belt on was the part that got mashed.

Going back to the twin stick and running it in low gear on the fly.

Has one had bad results from going into low gear on the fly? Like I said when I clutched in 4th and pulled it into 4wd lo, it just shifted and the RPMs went up a bit but other than that there were no bad results.

BW

That's totally awesome! Thanks for posting pics so quick even though I haven't been around . . . You did a nice job documenting it for all of us! I'm definately gonna have to try it on my 5SPD sometime - can anyone here say if it is the same/similar setup on the 5SPD?

As for 2Lo kick@$$ness, my Brat loved in in all 8 gears using 2Lo & 2Hi (RWD). I found that it had no adverse effects after putting ~1000 miles on it and using 2Lo as much as possible for burn outs, fast accel.s, auto-x, and general mayhem. Shifting between the Hi/Lo is just like any other shifter/gear.

• 2 weeks later...
Has one had bad results from going into low gear on the fly? Like I said when I clutched in 4th and pulled it into 4wd lo' date=' it just shifted and the RPMs went up a bit but other than that there were no bad results.[/quote']

Same deal here. I've taken it to low range on the fly on numerous occasions. I believe if there was an issue with it, FHI would've put some sort of interlock device onto the tranny to prevent such. So far, my tranny is still just as functional as it always has been.

edit: According to my owners manual, 4low on the fly is just fine. Only requirement is that you clutch out. So if it has the blessing of the SOA gods in the manual, do it!

That's totally awesome! Thanks for posting pics so quick even though I haven't been around . . . You did a nice job documenting it for all of us! I'm definately gonna have to try it on my 5SPD sometime - can anyone here say if it is the same/similar setup on the 5SPD?

it's similar, but the 5-speed has the lo range rod on the passenger side....but it's the same idea. Dr Krazy did it on his lifted EA82 sedan. do a search for his thread, he's got some good pics too.