Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2000 Legacy GT Wagon with 61K on it (standard transmission). Getting ready for a week long trip with a lot of driving. Just made an appt for the 60K service. I have done all the recommended services up to this point. The dealership says to do the basic service for 30K ($339) and then add $70 to rplace drive belts and clean and service throttle body. Then they recommend adding $250 to do the timing belt. None of this seems too bad in terms of price. In fact it's the same price sheet they have had for several years. They told me that if the timing belt goes on a zero tolerance Subaru engine that the pistons hit the valves and destroy the entire engine and the replacement cost on that would be $4-5K.

I am wondering first of all how you folks feel about the 60K service? Secondly, what about the timing belt in specific?

Also, do Subaru engines seem to knock a little more as they older? Is it also normal for me to get a little rattle noise from the gear shift (on the floor) when climbing steep hills? It stops if I rest my hand on the shifter.

I'd have the timing belt done. They are right about the new Subaru's being interference...if the timing belt breaks, you need a new engine. It's about that simple. It's not like the good old days where you break a belt and nothing happens.

Maybe your shifter bushings are shot. That could account for the bit of shaking in the shifter.

Don't bother having them mess with the throttle body, it's not worth it.

The timing belt should be good for 105k, at least that's what I've read for the 2.5SOHC motors.

What does the 30k service include?

For my 60k I did (off the top of my head):

Front/Read diff oil change.

Plugs

Air/Fuel Filter

PCV

Flush Brake Fluid

Coolant Flush (new rad cap, tstat, hoses)

Belts and wires would be good preventative maint. (I'm doing mine at 75k).

If there aren't any drivibility issues, I don't see the need to do a throttle body service. If you want just run a bottle of techron through the fuel system.

To answer your question about what the 30K includes:

$339.95

Lube/oil/filter/top off fluids

Rotate tires

Clean and adj brakes as needed

Replace brake fluid

Replace front/reaf diff fluid

Replace PCV vavlve

Replace air/fuel filter

Replace coolant

Replace platinum plugs add $50

The timing belt should be good for 105k, at least that's what I've read for the 2.5SOHC motors.

What does the 30k service include?

For my 60k I did (off the top of my head):

Front/Read diff oil change.

Plugs

Air/Fuel Filter

PCV

Flush Brake Fluid

Coolant Flush (new rad cap, tstat, hoses)

Belts and wires would be good preventative maint. (I'm doing mine at 75k).

If there aren't any drivibility issues, I don't see the need to do a throttle body service. If you want just run a bottle of techron through the fuel system.

Remove contents of wallet?

To answer your question about what the 30K includes:

$339.95

Lube/oil/filter/top off fluids

Rotate tires

Clean and adj brakes as needed

Replace brake fluid

Replace front/reaf diff fluid

Replace PCV vavlve

Replace air/fuel filter

Replace coolant

Replace platinum plugs add $50

Stealerships indeed.

I don't know how they could even present that estimate with a straight face.

Sid do you have a new tatoo ... 'SUCKER' writ across your foreheead?

Please, do yourself a favor and find another source of mainenance. Or learn how to do the basics yourself ... unless $3-4C is meaningless to you, then by all means make their boat payment for them and drive with peace of mind.