Ultimate Subaru Message Board

different kind of tire question- selling car

Hi, my forester needs new tires. the hitch is that we think we may sell the car in the near future- perhaps in the next 2-6 months- it kinda depends on a new job and relocation. there's even a (remote) chance that we might keep the car and just sell the other.

my first instinct was to just find the cheapest tires and put them on. but then I worried about the possibiilty that we may keep the car for longer than expected and I'd want a higher quality tire. Because they get such rave reviews, I thought about buying GY tripletreds. but it seems stupid to spend $600 on tires that I'll barely get to utilize.

I'm not looking for a specific tire recomendation. what I need is to know which tire should I buy- cheap or expensive? I really think most buyers don't care what kind of tires are on the car- just as long as they "look good." at the same time, I don't want to appear as some cheap skate who always skimps on his car. would having the "#1 CR tire" be a selling ppoint to offset the higher cost of the tire? (ie will I make an additional $300 on the selling price of the car?)

i would think the opposite is true. bad tires would cause some one to press you harder on lowering the price, but i doubt the quality of the tire, except for high performace tires on a high performance car,would make a difference.

i would think most buyers will run what are on the car until they do not serve any more. eithre worn out or in the case of cheap tires, don't perform well, ride rough or something.

but when you get right down to it, the real lost money is in the 'mount & balance'. that cost is the same no matter what you put on the car.

Hi, my forester needs new tires. the hitch is that we think we may sell the car in the near future- perhaps in the next 2-6 months- it kinda depends on a new job and relocation. there's even a (remote) chance that we might keep the car and just sell the other.

my first instinct was to just find the cheapest tires and put them on. but then I worried about the possibiilty that we may keep the car for longer than expected and I'd want a higher quality tire. Because they get such rave reviews, I thought about buying GY tripletreds. but it seems stupid to spend $600 on tires that I'll barely get to utilize.

I'm not looking for a specific tire recomendation. what I need is to know which tire should I buy- cheap or expensive? I really think most buyers don't care what kind of tires are on the car- just as long as they "look good." at the same time, I don't want to appear as some cheap skate who always skimps on his car. would having the "#1 CR tire" be a selling ppoint to offset the higher cost of the tire? (ie will I make an additional $300 on the selling price of the car?)

Buy the cheapest tire you can buy. Very little difference between a name brand tire and a private brand tire. As a matter of fact, the private brand tires are usually made by name brand manufacturers. I was in the business for years.

When I was responsible for the field rigs (all Dodge Ram 4WDs, used a lot off-road) I bought NOTHING but Coopers.

For our personal cars I buy the cheapest tires I can find, they're all DOT approved and must be made to certain minimum standards.

After five years and 75,000 miles we're on only the first set of replacement tires on our 2000 Legacy (after wearing out the ones that came on it), and the studded winter tires we bought four years ago.

BF goodrichs cost me around 60 per and is a good all around tire. They arent too expensive, and give good performance if you keep the tire. Also since they are a name brand no one is going to accuse you of putting garbage tires on the car.

nipper