Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Questions about EA82>EA82T or EA82>EJ18

DL92SW

Hello all.

I own a 1990 Leone (name in Israel) 1.8DL 5 Spd D/R EA82.

I think a lot about convert the lazy and noisy EA82 to EA82T or to EJ18.

When I searched about convert from EA82 to EJ18, I see that it's very complicated, and in Israel 99% of the "turbo engines", aren't EA82T but EA82 with turbo (like the XT turbo have, etc...).

Because of those things I write above I have some questions:

1. Does the convert from EA82 to EJ18 is equivalent to the convert from EA82 to EJ22 (that I red about that at this forum...)? I mean gear box change, mounting, etc...

2. What are the differences between EA82 and EA82T?

3. Does the 5 Spd D/R gear box and the cluch of my Subie can hold under the pressure (in offraod and onroad driving) of the EA82T/EA82 turbo? If not, what I have to change?

4. Can I use allmost all the parts of XT turbo, to convert my Subie to EA82T? I mean Engine, radiator, engine mount, fuel pump, fuel lines, down pipe and exhaust, catalist, etc...

5. What is easier to do? What You shuld do? convert to EA82T or to EJ18? because both of them are MPFI...?

Thanks, Gal.

1997 - Legacy 2.0GL 4WD Aut' Step Roof

1992 - Leone 1.6DL 2WD Man' First hand!

1990 - Leone 1.8DL 4WD 5 Spd D/R

1980 - Leone 1.6DL 2WD 4 Spd

in Israel 99% of the "turbo engines", aren't EA82T but EA82 with turbo (like the XT turbo have, etc...).
Excuse me, but what do you think an EA82T is? If there are XT Turbos, they will have an EA82T, but no where on the engine does it says 'EA82T', only 'EA82'.

Hello all.

I own a 1990 Leone (name in Israel) 1.8DL 5 Spd D/R EA82.

I think a lot about convert the lazy and noisy EA82 to EA82T or to EJ18.

When I searched about convert from EA82 to EJ18, I see that it's very complicated, and in Israel 99% of the "turbo engines", aren't EA82T but EA82 with turbo (like the XT turbo have, etc...).

Because of those things I write above I have some questions:

1. Does the convert from EA82 to EJ18 is equivalent to the convert from EA82 to EJ22 (that I red about that at this forum...)? I mean gear box change, mounting, etc...Yes, you have to change everything, it's not a simple conversion.

2. What are the differences between EA82 and EA82T? A turbo, lower compression, hotter operating temps.

3. Does the 5 Spd D/R gear box and the cluch of my Subie can hold under the pressure (in offraod and onroad driving) of the EA82T/EA82 turbo? If not, what I have to change? Depends upon how you drive it, but if you have a complete donor car, use the tranny from it, you'll need to change the front axles too.

4. Can I use allmost all the parts of XT turbo, to convert my Subie to EA82T? I mean Engine, radiator, engine mount, fuel pump, fuel lines, down pipe and exhaust, catalist, etc... Yes, but you won't need all of that.

5. What is easier to do? What You shuld do? convert to EA82T or to EJ18? because both of them are MPFI...? Converting to the EA82T is much simpler.

Thanks, Gal.

1997 - Legacy 2.0GL 4WD Aut' Step Roof

1992 - Leone 1.6DL 2WD Man' First hand!

1990 - Leone 1.8DL 4WD 5 Spd D/R

1980 - Leone 1.6DL 2WD 4 Spd

See my comments above.

See my comments above.

OK, so I think I'll convert to EA82T because convert to EJ18 is too much hard to do.

I allways thought that EA82 different from EA82T, I mean that on engine it says EA82T or EA82...

What's the differences between EA82 and EA82T? valves, cylinders, somthing inside the engine...

There are any differences between EA82T engines and turbo that on turbo it says "4WD Turbo MPFI" and just "MPFI" (or something like that)?

Does Subaru produced a EA82T wagon with 5 Spd. D/R gear box? In the Parts Catalog it says EA82T with 5 Spd. S/R. Nowhere mention that the turbo wagons produced with a D/R gear, so how can I be sure that my existing D/R tranny wont break down under the pressure of the turbo engine? Someone know how to solve that problem?

What are the things that I have to move from XT Turbo to my Leone to make it work without problems...? I know that one of the things that I have to buy a new one is a new down pipe and the complete exhaust (because the wagon is longer than the XT), what else...?

Gal.

i beleave the only turbo that came with a D/R is the turbo coupe and RX. the older ones came with a part time 4WD D/R and the later ones came with a FT4WD D/R. any trans should hold up to the EA82T. but if you go with a Turbo trany you will need to get new front axels and rear diff.

-=Suberdave=-

www.suberdave.com

I checked the Parts Catalog and I see that until 88' all the turbo's came with part time 4WD D/R (like I have on my Subie) and after that all of them came with FT4WD D/R.

If my rear diff is 3.9 (originally) ratio and I buy in U.S. a tranny of a part time 4WD D/R from turbo Subie with rear diff 3.9 ration, still I have to get a new front axels and rear diff from the turbo Subie?

If my rear diff is 3.9 ratio and I want to install an LSD from a 3.9 diff of RX or something like that, there is any problem that I have to solve (like change corona and pinion, etc...)? or just open the diff and install the LSD?

In the USA, EA82-Turbos seldom came with a D/R transaxle, and these were the RX models. The turbo diff ratio is 3.70, no exceptions to the best of my knowledge. The 3.90 LSD is very uncommon, if it exists at all. The reason for needing the different axles and rear diff with a "turbo" tranny is because the diff ratio is 3.70 and the front diff's stub-axle splines are different. Shipping from the USA would be very expensive unless you have some special arrangement.