Ultimate Subaru Message Board

d/r trans problem...

Finally got the 3at trans swapped out with a d/r trans in my project 3-door and after resealing the motor, new clutch & resurfaced flywheel, new radiator, and lots of little things... Got the motor running and was in the process of adjusting the timing when the car lurched forward and stalled out - ebrake was on. Now there is no neutral position and no reverse - whatever position I put the gear selector in, it wants to go forward when I let the clutch out.

This d/r trans was supposedly a low mileage jdm transmission that sat dry (no gear oil) for a number of years before I bought it - the outside was very clean and looks unworn. I did notice that when I would rotate the input shaft by hand before installing it, that it had one spot that required more torque to rotate the shaft. I filled it with a mixture of synthetic and regular gear oil - 4 quarts total.

Any suggestions?

sounds like your shifter linkage fell apart and is stuck in gear

Is it stuck in one gear ? like 1st or will it actualy go in to 3rd + 5th you will know when you let out the clutch and you have to slip it to keep it from stalling if its in a higher gear ,

is a clutch cable moving freely no stiff spots ,

the only problems i have had with suby trannys is they lockup in two gears if the sincro gear gets jamed in eg. 1st then the shifter moves with out taking it out of 1st and locks up when tryed to shift in 3rd to 5th 2nd wont be there ,

I have to wait for some push help to test what happens when the clutch is let out because of where it is parked. Clutch action is smooth.

sounds like your shifter linkage fell apart and is stuck in gear

Is it stuck in one gear ? like 1st or will it actualy go in to 3rd + 5th you will know when you let out the clutch and you have to slip it to keep it from stalling if its in a higher gear ,

the only problems i have had with suby trannys is they lockup in two gears if the sincro gear gets jamed in eg. 1st then the shifter moves with out taking it out of 1st and locks up when tryed to shift in 3rd to 5th 2nd wont be there ,

• 3 weeks later...

I've just gotten back to this problem.

In neutral, when the clutch is let out, it goes forward as if in 1st. In all other gears it acts like it is totally bound up and the motor will stall. Very hard to place back in neutral position. Have not heard any gear grinding.

External shifter linkage is still intact.

Is there any hope for freeing up the syncro gear? Should I drain the trans oil and refill with atf?

"sounds like your shifter linkage fell apart and is stuck in gear

the only problems i have had with suby trannys is they lockup in two gears if the sincro gear gets jamed in eg. 1st then the shifter moves with out taking it out of 1st and locks up when tryed to shift in 3rd to 5th 2nd wont be there"

Clutch feels like it is fine - in order to test the gear selections, I moved the car by holding the clutch pedal down with a board wedged to the front seat and then pushed it out of its parking spot.

although it's less likely if the action on the lutch feels OK, it may be a defective clutch... good luck..

It sounds like the tranny needs to come apart but i would try everything else before i would do that , like agressive shifter movment to free the scyncro , try 1st to reverse ,

If the tranny was in a car that was in a accedent strange things happen and somthing could have broke in the tranny like the shifter fork or chiped a tooth causing it to be stuck in 1st .

If you remove the back of the tranny case you will see the part that pushes the shifter rods and it should move freely and have little to know ware on it , its hard to explane what it should do with out seeing it .

Good luck

SUCCESS!!!! rguyver and Nug, I owe you some beer. Tried the 1st to reverse for about 10 agressive shifts, heard a clunk; started the car and the transmission began shifting normally. Have finished setting the timing and driven it a number of times along my long driveway in fwd, 4 hi and 4 lo.

I was not looking forward to pulling the trans.

Will post some pictures soon.

It sounds like the tranny needs to come apart but i would try everything else before i would do that , like agressive shifter movment to free the scyncro , try 1st to reverse ,

If the tranny was in a car that was in a accedent strange things happen and somthing could have broke in the tranny like the shifter fork or chiped a tooth causing it to be stuck in 1st .

If you remove the back of the tranny case you will see the part that pushes the shifter rods and it should move freely and have little to know ware on it , its hard to explane what it should do with out seeing it .

Good luck

:drunk:

It sat for 3 years unused with the person I bought it from and unknown history before that. Just need to get my back-up lights wired up and maybe the 4wd indicator kight before I install the interior trim pieces.

Thanks again for your advice.

thats great , how long was the tranny sitting around , it could have just got some moisture in it and stuck it in first , and it will just need to be worked in .