Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Coolant Hose -Help Plz

Hi All,

Need some hose info for:

1982 Subaru GL 4WD Wagon, 1.8L, w/ 1 Brl Carter/Weber Carb.

The 2 small 1/4" or .25 (?) coolant hoses that connect at the base of the intake manifold right below the front of the carb.

1) One goes from the intake manifold to the inlet area of the upper radiator hose/thermostat part of manifold.

2) Second goes from the intake manifold over to the larger heater bypass pipe.

I guess you would call these both small diameter bypass hoses.

Can't find anything in all the auto parts stores except 1/4" fuel/emmision hose that says on it:

"Gates XL Fuel Line 1/4" (6.3mm) SAE 30R7 CS051506 X200 Not For Fuel Injection Systems Made in USA By Gates."

Will this work OK or not?

If above won't suffice, anyone have a clue to find a few feet of what will/should work?

Thanks in advance

Peace....Ron

Hi!

Just check if that hose has Nylon Thread between the rubber inside / outside... You can see that if you can cut a li´l bit of the hose, and see it.

I use exactly the same Gates Hose... Just check if it Got the Nylon "Core" ... it means it is stroger than Average Hose, and designed to carry "Presurised" Fuel... it will work Good with Coolant Too..

cara_burlon.gif

I checked the hose and it seems to have a small white thread in the middle of the hose-not a full braid-just a kind of spiral wrap. Not very much of it though.

Can't tell if it has a 'nylon core' either.

Are you sure this type of hose can take the very high temps of hot antifreeze? The hose is "very hot to the touch". Since it is so small I'm afraid with the pressure & hot coolant it might not hold up too well and burst.

Any other ideas for the correct hose for this type of application? Some parts stores told me it would work, while others said no way.

Thanks.....Ron

Any fuel line hose will work. If it is good for fuel, it is good for coolant. When my Brat started leaking at one of those hoses, I bought some from Carquest. The fuel line hose for fuel injection applications will withstand higher pressures.

Regards,

aba4430

Well put the hose in. Ran it for an hour. Seems to work OK. Gets awfully hot but didn't leak, or explode yet!

It's my winter car so I'll have to wait till then to really see if it will hold up.

Thanks guys!

Peace.....Ron

i cant say that its a bad thing to run coolant in a fuel line, but if it says not for fuel injected systems then it is NOT high pressure line. the parts store should have a complete stock of coolant hose.. also called (oddly enough) heater hose.. but if its low pressure then it was designed for carbed vehicles, and thats like 6-8 psi.. i dont know what the "max psi" of the hose would be, but thats a high fuel pressure for a carb, so it cant be much higher than that.

if youre store doesnt have hose, find another store and dont go back to the other one. chances are though, the store was just out of line. did you talk to anyone at the store? just about any place around me carries about 30 different coils of hose, simply because its needed. push comes to shove, find a place online.. but i wouldnt rely on the vehicle long term without inspecting it regularly, at least.. until you put heater hose on it.

i may be wrong, but i mean what i say.. i would inspect it frequently at least.

I have been fighting with this hose for a couple of years already. Automotive stores do not cary special hoses that size. At least the ones I went. Regular hose works for about a year. So yesterday I gave up and ordered one from the dealer. Cost me 12 dollars. It should be delivered on Friday. If you need a part number let me know. This Friday I will know if I ordered the right one!!!

Sam

I have been fighting with this hose for a couple of years already. Automotive stores do not cary special hoses that size.

Sure they do, just gotta look.

Advanced carries a hose perfect for the job:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=DAC&mfrpartnumber=302800&parttype=1066&ptset=A

Drive-Rite hose, part number: 302800

NAPA also carries a generic heater hose that's 0.3 inches in diameter with a 90 degree bend in it. This works great too!

At least you don't have to replace a $30 turbo hose :lol: The return hose with the heat shielding is probably the largest pita hose to replace on the car. Requires removal of the turbo to do it easily.
PITA, yes. Return, no: That is the supply line. :)