Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Starter from 87 GL into 93 Loyale?

I'm aware of the 4EAT - briefly owned one - but I'm not aware of any difference in the starter's - can you be more specific? I think I have the starter from it around here, and I didn't notice any difference. The bell-housing's are the same, so mounting should be the same as well. Is the pinion gear different or something?

At any rate, a 93 Loyale will have a 3AT, 5 MT pushbutton 4WD, or a 5MT 2WD, the only cars that got the 4EAT were Turbo 4WD models, and the Loyale only came in turbo for one year - 1990. So a 93 will not have this suspect transmission combination anyway.

GD

At any rate, a 93 Loyale will have a 3AT, 5 MT pushbutton 4WD, or a 5MT 2WD, the only cars that got the 4EAT were Turbo 4WD models, and the Loyale only came in turbo for one year - 1990. So a 93 will not have this suspect transmission combination anyway.

GD

I've seen 4EATs in later model non-turbo Loyales. I'm not sure exactly which models came with them, but when shopping for a wagon, I've seen 'em.

The 4EAT is a Full Time 4WD (fancy term for AWD). It's actually just a legacy trans with an EA bell-housing. I've not personally seen a Full Time 4WD EA series that was not in a turbo car.... but it's possible.

I don't know that they made a 2WD 4EAT for the EA series either.... I think they did for the Legacy, but I'm no expert in that department.

GD