Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'86 GL having problems

I have an 86 GL with the Carb'd EA82 motor. It runs fine for the first 10 minutes of so of driving, but after that it starts stumbling. It then gets progressivly worse, losing all of its power while also sounding pretty unhealthy. If I park it and let it sit overnight, its fine again...until I drive it for about 10 minutes.

I'm guessing this has something to do with the automatic choke? I first thought it needed a cap and rotor...but now I'm not sure.

Let me know what you think...

It's not unheard of for the choke heater to fail on a hitachi carburetor. Next time you have a chance to work on it, run the engine with the air cleaner cover take off and see if the choke plate opens as the engine warms up.

It's not unheard of for the choke heater to fail on a hitachi carburetor. Next time you have a chance to work on it, run the engine with the air cleaner cover take off and see if the choke plate opens as the engine warms up.

I tried this, and I could not see anything moving. The choke plate is the very top plate, with the two tiny screws in it? It is always open...

I'm going to try and run seafoam or something through it tommorow and see if that helps.