Ultimate Subaru Message Board

90 Legacy L Wagon 5spd Worth $1000

There is a 90 Legacy Wagon L 5spd AWD for sale 180,000 miles near where I live. They're asking $1000 for it and that is a killer deal! Except, I just talked to the lady selling it and she says she "thinks" that 1st and 2nd gear are "a little growly". She doesn't know much about it and her son is supposed to call me back soon with more info.

Apparently her husband had a stroke and I think passed away so they sold all the cars at his car lot and that one didn't sell(they WERE asking like $3,350 for it)and it didn't make it to auction so her son just said he'd throw up a for sale sign and get rid of it for $1000.

I stopped by to look at it today while she was at work and it looks to be in excellent condition! Paint is very nice, the interior looks great, tires are decent, has all the hub caps...

Is it worth $1000? I think probably. I just bought this same car 4EAT back in february and had to replace timing belt, tranny, wheel bearings, O2 sensor, fuel filter, plugs and wires, and it came out to be a total of about $1200. Now it runs like a champ! I love it. I would like to buy this car and sell it because I really need money right now and if I sell my truck and my current subaru, maybe I can finally buy a nice car that's newer than 16 years old!

I've got right about 900 bucks I think and I can borrow some cash from my mom but I just need to know what kind of deal this is? A tranny is something like 200 bucks at the junkyard in the next town over, is that what the growly noise would be or would it be the clutch?

Thanks in advance. Sorry this is a bit long....

No. No 1990's came with Turbo's. In 1991, they were only in Sedans (Sport Sedan to be exact). From 92-94 they were also in wagons called "Touring Wagons" which only came with Automatics (while the Sport Sedan continued to be offered in both 4EAT and 5MT variations).

It's definitely worth 1k if you need it just as a daily driver. Hell, try to talk her down to 900.

No. No 1990's came with Turbo's. In 1991, they were only in Sedans (Sport Sedan to be exact). From 92-94 they were also in wagons called "Touring Wagons" which only came with Automatics (while the Sport Sedan continued to be offered in both 4EAT and 5MT variations).

It's definitely worth 1k if you need it just as a daily driver. Hell, try to talk her down to 900.

Well, test drove the car today. I didn't even have to talk them down, they told me I can have it for $800 bucks.

So I'm buying it in the morning. Few problems with the car.

1. Noisy tranny

2. CEL is on, code 22 knock sensor(easy fix and only code present)

3. Passenger side doors do not unlock

The tranny(I think)is making a good deal of noise. I think it's a bit more serious than they say. It makes a growling noise while the clutch is in. I can't remember but I almost think it makes it while it's in neutral too. Not sure. But, wouldn't that mean, it's not the tranny? What else would make a growling noise?

I replaced the knock sensor in like 2 minutes on my subaru legacy. Same exact model and year but auto, not manual. So that's not a problem.

Doors don't unlock on passenger side. This is annoying but not a major problem. The doors on the legacy I have right now do not have a key so I can't even lock them! Other then that, the car seems to run good and it's in pretty good shape. So I'll take it!

Will be back on the market soon enough. I mean, for only $800 bucks, I think I make a profit here pretty easily. I should be able to sell it for at least $1500 but I see them all the time for $2000...Hmm

I'd do a fluid flush and replace with new, good gear oil. If that doesn't quiet down the grinding then you'll have to go to more drastic measures.

If it's power lock equipped...check to make sure that the door locks are plugged in on the inside of the doors.

Or, is it that they don't even unlock with the key?

if it makes noise with the clutch in matbe it's the throw out bearing.

and haynes says to check the door lock relays under the dash first!! bad relay or loose connect may be the problem. 2 doors not locking is not an "in the door" problem in IMHO.

Well, test drove the car today. I didn't even have to talk them down, they told me I can have it for $800 bucks.

So I'm buying it in the morning. Few problems with the car.

1. Noisy tranny

2. CEL is on, code 22 knock sensor(easy fix and only code present)

3. Passenger side doors do not unlock

The tranny(I think)is making a good deal of noise. I think it's a bit more serious than they say. It makes a growling noise while the clutch is in. I can't remember but I almost think it makes it while it's in neutral too. Not sure. But, wouldn't that mean, it's not the tranny? What else would make a growling noise?

I replaced the knock sensor in like 2 minutes on my subaru legacy. Same exact model and year but auto, not manual. So that's not a problem.

Doors don't unlock on passenger side. This is annoying but not a major problem. The doors on the legacy I have right now do not have a key so I can't even lock them! Other then that, the car seems to run good and it's in pretty good shape. So I'll take it!

Will be back on the market soon enough. I mean, for only $800 bucks, I think I make a profit here pretty easily. I should be able to sell it for at least $1500 but I see them all the time for $2000...Hmm

if it makes noise with the clutch in matbe it's the throw out bearing.

and haynes says to check the door lock relays under the dash first!! bad relay or loose connect may be the problem. 2 doors not locking is not an "in the door" problem in IMHO.

Ehh. You have a 95. The lock system for the 90-94 is different than the 95 ;)

Alright, well I'll check out the doors later. I just ran seafoam through the engine and now it's sitting for a few minutes before I take it for a drive. A "spirited drive" lol.

I'm pretty sure it's the clutch release bearing. When you put the clutch in, it goes away. I think I may have said that it is still there when you press the clutch in but that was a mistake.

The idle is pretty rough when you first start it up but after a min it's good. In fact I got in it today and turned it on and it died. I'm hoping that the seafoam helps that out a bit. There's also a loud ticking noise that seems to be coming from the engine. The noise is not present in my other wagon(same year, model but it's an auto). It's definately not a normal ticking sound, like lifters. Has small exhaust leak, as I found out when the smoke from the seafoam came up in my face a little. But you can't really hear it I don't think.

I'm gonna go drive it and see how that helps, I put the rest in the tank.

I think the seafoam freed up the lifters and they're really loud now...

At least that's my guess as to what that new loud ticking noise is coming from under my hood. That makes me angry. I'm trying to sell this car and people don't like noises like that.

There's no harm done right? This sucks. I already have a noise coming from my clutch release bearing and I didn't want another one. I was just trying to help the thing idle better.

Could it be the IAC that was making it idle rough during startup? Is it easy to clean?