Ultimate Subaru Message Board

since i bought this car i have always had to deal with the raw fuel smell...however today i noticed a puddle of gas on the ground where i previously parked the car......looked under the gas tank and witness gas pouring out of the top of tank (where it meets the car) to the ground...soaking everything in site.....what should i do?

is there a gasket that is between the tank and car that could be replaced?

i guess i can do some research but i figure i'll post it for some reply's from someone who this might of happened to before....or for someone who this is happening to now

keywords: gas tank fuel leak smell

I wonder if one of your vent valves got stuck open. You don't "top off" your gas tank, do you? It's not so good for the Subaru's and their AWD gas tanks.

I've "topped off" my Legacy every 300 miles for 205,000 of it's 245,000 miles and have never had a problem.

I did recently have a problem that the bottom of the filler pipe rusted out though.

Maybe pull the cover that is under the rear seat or in the trunk to see if you can find the source of the leak??

i bought the car 8k miles ago....so if they did or not i dunno...but yeah i do too ha...whats bad when u do?

im gonna start pulling it apart now....it could be possible that something is rotted out....b/c now it isnt leaking...after i filled the tank for the next hour it was

thanks for the help....keep it coming

p.s. im watching the x-games rally thing on abc....check it out

Sounds like the filler tube, although your first post did say the gas was leaking from high on top of tank?? Notorious on early 90s Subaru is the rusting of the filler tube... which seeps especially when the tank is first filled up. There is a "protective" shroud covering the lower portion of the filler tube next to the right rear wheel. This protective sheath actually traps road salt and dirt and moisture which ultimately results in a corroded piece of metal. When you fix one pinhole, another opens up. Best to find a replacement and do the job once and right

i bought the car 8k miles ago....so if they did or not i dunno...but yeah i do too ha...whats bad when u do?

im gonna start pulling it apart now....it could be possible that something is rotted out....b/c now it isnt leaking...after i filled the tank for the next hour it was

thanks for the help....keep it coming

p.s. im watching the x-games rally thing on abc....check it out

if it only leaks after you fill up. don't fill up, just put in 3/4 tank.

Sounds like the filler tube, although your first post did say the gas was leaking from high on top of tank?? Notorious on early 90s Subaru is the rusting of the filler tube... which seeps especially when the tank is first filled up. There is a "protective" shroud covering the lower portion of the filler tube next to the right rear wheel. This protective sheath actually traps road salt and dirt and moisture which ultimately results in a corroded piece of metal. When you fix one pinhole, another opens up. Best to find a replacement and do the job once and right

not to hijack the thread, but how does the gas tank transfer gas from one side to the other. haynes mentioned a 'jet pump'. is that it and how does it work.

i was checking out the sending units and didn't see any side to side connection.

john

since i bought this car i have always had to deal with the raw fuel smell...however today i noticed a puddle of gas on the ground where i previously parked the car......looked under the gas tank and witness gas pouring out of the top of tank (where it meets the car) to the ground...soaking everything in site.....what should i do?

is there a gasket that is between the tank and car that could be replaced?

i guess i can do some research but i figure i'll post it for some reply's from someone who this might of happened to before....or for someone who this is happening to now

keywords: gas tank fuel leak smell

The condition I am referencing leaks in an area that would be comparable to a J-trap in a sink, therefore it will leak out until the trap is empty whether you fill up or just a few gallons. The end result will be the seepage of that gas that is left in the "trap". Then again, it may be a different leak altogether.

if it only leaks after you fill up. don't fill up, just put in 3/4 tank.

not to hijack the thread, but how does the gas tank transfer gas from one side to the other. haynes mentioned a 'jet pump'. is that it and how does it work.

i was checking out the sending units and didn't see any side to side connection.

john

Jet pump is a fancy word for kind of siphon action.

nipper

+1 for rusted out filler tube...

my legacy had a plastic "guard" that only managed to "guard" the sand and crap that was held between itself and the fuel filler tube...

I ripped that out of there, took off the filler tube, sanded and painted... the rust was already starting

there's nothing like a j trap on the tank, but i think i get what you mean. every time you fill up, it leaks the same amount, then stops.

the leak is either in the filler tube or the tank. ( i guess it could be in the fuel lines/ vapor lines). so it either leaks from the filler tube which is in the top of the tank or the tank it self.

if it's the filler neck/tube it going to leak while filling or as long as ther is fuel there. if it's the tank, it's going to leak as long as the tank is that full. once the level goes down, it won't leak.

my guess is the filler. that's the only "leak" i've heard about here. but it could be something eles. the bad news is ... you have to pull the differential to remove the gas tank.

i'd try running with just a half a tank for a while t otry and locate the leak.

another thought, and if this is dangerous some one tell me... use the out put of a vacuum cleaner to blow air into the tank opening. use smoething to help seal around VC hose and the fill opening. then listen for the hissing of escaping air.

good luck!!

The condition I am referencing leaks in an area that would be comparable to a J-trap in a sink, therefore it will leak out until the trap is empty whether you fill up or just a few gallons. The end result will be the seepage of that gas that is left in the "trap". Then again, it may be a different leak altogether.

im hoping its the filler neck....still didnt get to look yet.....although it was coming from the top of the tank....maybe it was just run-off that i seen

im going to look in my haynes manuel for a diagram of the fuel storage system...do u think its the same for a legacy and impreza? haha b/c my manual is for a legacy...cant seem to find any for imprezas

does anyone know how the gas tank is connected to the car? wouldnt there be some kind of sealer between the car and the brim of the tank

i wish i had more time to mess with the car....my g/f's car is acting up too...loud ticking noise...faster as rev'd that'll be another thread with a sound clip...once i get the time im gonna check the oil...maybe that could cause it? ha

i still appreciate all this help....that vac idea sounds good for me....as long as it wouldnt mess with anything or cause me to inhale toxic fumes and die...i remember someone having the filler pipe problem awhile back...they even had a picture of all the road salt packed in there

Could be a bad vapor control system with a stuck purge valve, could be a rotted fill pipe.

nipper

edit to my description before....it is leaking on the passenger side.....so im def thinking the filler tube.....how bad do these things leak....b/c this s*** was def. coming out.....and when fixing it is it just an "unbolt" old one then "bolt" in new one?

edit to my description before....it is leaking on the passenger side.....so im def thinking the filler tube.....how bad do these things leak....b/c this s*** was def. coming out.....and when fixing it is it just an "unbolt" old one then "bolt" in new one?

from what i have heard, this is a pricey part (for what the part is), and hard to find in junkyards, for this very reason. This seems to be a common problem in snow belts.

Someone will chime in on details.

nipper

i pulled the fuel pump / sending unit out of mine from behind back seat, and it looked to me as though the fill tube extended through the wall of the tank. my guess would be that the filler is welded to the tank wall. but that's a guess.

the top end of the filler tube mounts on the inside of the rear quartes panel, and there is a section of flexible tubing, w/clamps,connecting it to the rest of the filler tube.

i wonder why you haven't gotten a CEL with a hole in your tank. from others, it sounds like you could get a light if you leave the cap off.

i pulled the fuel pump / sending unit out of mine from behind back seat, and it looked to me as though the fill tube extended through the wall of the tank. my guess would be that the filler is welded to the tank wall. but that's a guess.

the top end of the filler tube mounts on the inside of the rear quartes panel, and there is a section of flexible tubing, w/clamps,connecting it to the rest of the filler tube.

i wonder why you haven't gotten a CEL with a hole in your tank. from others, it sounds like you could get a light if you leave the cap off.

i dont think that started untill 2000 model year, his is a 96.

nipper

OK Nipper, this has gone on long enough. Would you please go over to Sean's and beat the truth out of him. He finally admits the passenger side! What else is he holding back? Now if you would only crawl up under there with a match (JUST KIDDING:eek:) and look see where the gas is leaking, Sean's problem would be solved.

If it is the filler tube, online venders have it for about $90 but be very specific including Vin# as they vary even within the same year. I have heard it is a pain to loosen the old screws up top.

i dont think that started untill 2000 model year, his is a 96.

nipper

I just went through the leaky filler neck thing with my 1996 Legacy. It had a metal filler neck from the gas cap down to about where the back axle is. Then there was a flexible plastic hose that went above the tank. Exactly as described above the shield held the salty dirt against the metal and it rusted through.

If your car has one, take the shield off and clean up in there as best you can. Take it to a car wash, whatever. Pour in a little gas with a gas can or at the pump. Watch under the car to see where it is leaking. When I say pour in a little gas I mean count to three or five while pouring gas. If you can't see under the car take a board or two with you and pull that tire up on them to give you more height. Use a flashlight. Break down a cardboard box to lie on to keep you out of the dirt.

If the filler neck is rusted and leaking, shop around and buy a new one. Patching the old one is false economy.

Take off the tire to give you room to wrestle off the bad filler neck and install the new one.

update:

just checked out the filler pipe and its rust-free....however i was tracing it towards where the gas was leaking from, and i discovered that the metal pipe turns into a rubber hose held by clamps....im not aware if thats stock or not...but the clamps look fairly newer so im thinking maybe there was a rust problem down there and someone began to fix it....i could'nt really see the otehr end of the rubber hosing b/c its above the rear mustache but when i stuck my hand through there to feel i was breaking off alot of corrosion so sometime i'll have to explore that.....