Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new oil pump pics [for reference] Booyakasha!

New oil pump arrived on Friday; figured I'd post these pics for reference. Those screws on the back I believe are the ones that were prone to loosen up sometimes. :eek: Maybe I'll put a little green thread lock on before installing it :banana:[my family doesn't share my fascination with this new oil pump but maybe you guys will! :D ]

oilpumpobv1.jpgoilpumprev1.jpg

where does the infamous "o-ring" i've heard so much about, go. is it large or small.

New oil pump arrived on Friday; figured I'd post these pics for reference. Those screws on the back I believe are the ones that were prone to loosen up sometimes. :eek: Maybe I'll put a little green thread lock on before installing it :banana:[my family doesn't share my fascination with this new oil pump but maybe you guys will! :D ]

oilpumpobv1.jpgoilpumprev1.jpg

The O-ring sits between the pump outlet and main oil gallery in the block. That would be around the big hole at the bottom right corner of the pump, as pictured. For pre-1998 engines, the part number is 806919050.

Hi johnceggleston and avk! I just happen to have taken a picture of subject o-ring area (on block) while old pump was out, and is shown below. You can (should) clearly see the o-ring in the bottomish left of the picture. :banana: :cool: :D You can just barely see the bottom of the crankshaft at the top of the pic.

oilpumporing1.jpg

Woohoo! :headbang: new oil pump is installed. I named her Mickey. She's on the left in the pic below looking just snug as a bug in a rug next to her friend the new water pump on the '00OBW. Hi Mickey! :clap: Sure hope I didn't use too much Permatex Ultra Grey on Mickey! Ain't never done no job this involved b4. :brow:

mickeyinstalled1.jpg

I give 4 thumbs up for a job well done - the pros will think nothing of tearing that much stuff apart to replace a waterpump or an oil pump. But any DIY-guy will and should feel an immense sense of satisfaction after replacing these. You easily saved at least $250 in labor costs.