Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1973 Splitgate Wagon

Howdy!

Just got this today. Its the one from Petersen. The guy who won didn't take it.

Here's a concept rendering of what I have in mind for it (please forgive the quick-job photoshop work)

Opinions? Any one know where to get that vinyl-wood decal? Also needs a new cooling fan and possibly transmission.

Hope everyone is staying cool!

Bryan

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=12169&cat=500

Thanks, guys-

Still undecided about the wood. Its just so outrageous. I love that crazy kitsch "Americanization" of something so very Japanese...

I can tell I am going to have even more fun with this one. That super-low tailgate is an idea that needs to come back. Its the perfect height to sit and chill with friends. Drive-In theater anyone?

This car needs a little more mechanical work than the previous one but its nice. There isn't one ding in the body sides. Incredible. From what I can tell from the records, the 43k miles are original. Hot damn!

I have thought for a while now that it would be super cool to turn a subie wagon into a woody. It has been so long since I have seen one. But I was thinking of an ea81 or 82 car. I guess the case could be made that since yours is rare it should be left original. I think the woody paln looks cool though!

Just a couple of months ago this young gentleman is on the highway with Michigan plates on an EA82 woody wagon.....looks over at me in my '78 and just about goes bananas bouncing up and down and smiling,waving,giving my car the thumbs up.

Remember guys,I'm still wanting the border trim for those woody kits.

If you send it to me I will do my best to copy the pieces and give you a set for the price of material.The set will be REAL wood either mahogony or something cheaper but good for outdoors.

The original sets are applique with plastic simulated wood border.

I'd gladly cover shipping both ways and like I said,offer you a real wood border set for cost of material.

Meanwhile,when I get back to work I'm going to start my own border for an EA82 wagon.