Ultimate Subaru Message Board

81 Subaru DL conversion to fuel injection...

Alexx

i think it would be cool if GD or someone on here started making spfi kits for ea81s. you know, like putting the setups together out of jy cars, then modding the ea82 disty to fit into the ea81, numbering or labeling the wires on the ecu, etc. i`d buy one if the price wasn't too outrageous.

The problem is the price - Here locally after I buy all the parts, I'm already into the deal $150 at least (on a good day). Even if I got real good at doing the wiring and such, it's 2-3 hours of work at the junk yard just to get the parts plus travel time, gas, etc, and probably another 4 hours of wireing, and modding the disty. Even at say $10 an hour (which is less than I make at work) you are looking at probably close to $80 - $100 in labor to build it. Then I would probably need to do a core exchange with the disty because I need the EA81 Hitachi drive gear to build the disty.... oh yeah - and I would have to include about 4 feet of new fuel injection hose - $20 there. Extra wiring, relays, spade terminals, solder, flux, etc, etc. I am guessing that I would be into the deal at close to $300 - $350 just to make a single set. But I suppose $350 - $400 is what folks are paying for Weber's from redline, so it still might be doable. Still out of the reach of most....

I have thought about just doing the harness and the disty up, and letting folks find their own manifolds and fuel pumps and such. That would actually be most of the labor, and the parts would be fairly minimal that I would need to collect and ship. Probably only $50 or so in parts, and about 4 hours of labor once I get it down. The difficulty with the wiring is that I couldn't just make one master kit - EA81's can be different depending on year, and I don't have all of them availible to look at. Still need the core exchange on the disty since I can't source dozens of EA81 disty's.....

Almost forgot - there are two types of SPFI. Two different ECU's, different MAF, and such. I would have to know which one each person was going to use parts from in order to have the correct harness made up. The permutations are a bit annoying to say the least.

Any sugestions?

GD

• 2 weeks later...
The problem is the price - Here locally after I buy all the parts, I'm already into the deal $150 at least (on a good day). Even if I got real good at doing the wiring and such, it's 2-3 hours of work at the junk yard just to get the parts plus travel time, gas, etc, and probably another 4 hours of wireing, and modding the disty. Even at say $10 an hour (which is less than I make at work) you are looking at probably close to $80 - $100 in labor to build it. Then I would probably need to do a core exchange with the disty because I need the EA81 Hitachi drive gear to build the disty.... oh yeah - and I would have to include about 4 feet of new fuel injection hose - $20 there. Extra wiring, relays, spade terminals, solder, flux, etc, etc. I am guessing that I would be into the deal at close to $300 - $350 just to make a single set. But I suppose $350 - $400 is what folks are paying for Weber's from redline, so it still might be doable. Still out of the reach of most....

I have thought about just doing the harness and the disty up, and letting folks find their own manifolds and fuel pumps and such. That would actually be most of the labor, and the parts would be fairly minimal that I would need to collect and ship. Probably only $50 or so in parts, and about 4 hours of labor once I get it down. The difficulty with the wiring is that I couldn't just make one master kit - EA81's can be different depending on year, and I don't have all of them availible to look at. Still need the core exchange on the disty since I can't source dozens of EA81 disty's.....

Almost forgot - there are two types of SPFI. Two different ECU's, different MAF, and such. I would have to know which one each person was going to use parts from in order to have the correct harness made up. The permutations are a bit annoying to say the least.

Any sugestions?

GD

Would I get any improvement in gas mileage if the changeover were done?

• 2 months later...
I was getting 37 mpg in an 86 hatch with the stock Hitachi ?? I thought the SPFI would get better than 30 mpg...

ea71 in a hatch isnt exactly a completely differant animal, but there is a huge differance between a 4wd ea81 wagon and a 2wd ea71 hatch. my wagon on a good day gets 25-27 with the weber... my 86 std hatch easily gets 35mpg with some rough driving, easily 40 if I'm taking it easy. A wagon is heavier, has a slightly bigger engine, and has 4wd, all of which contribute to more fuel consumption.

ea71 in a hatch isnt exactly a completely differant animal, but there is a huge differance between a 4wd ea81 wagon and a 2wd ea71 hatch. my wagon on a good day gets 25-27 with the weber... my 86 std hatch easily gets 35mpg with some rough driving, easily 40 if I'm taking it easy. A wagon is heavier, has a slightly bigger engine, and has 4wd, all of which contribute to more fuel consumption.

The hatch was EA81 4WD, and had 4 sticky, knobby snow tires on it. Yes the wagon is a bigger car, but not by much.

Anyway, I just thought SPFI would do better than that.

The hatch was EA81 4WD, and had 4 sticky, knobby snow tires on it. Yes the wagon is a bigger car, but not by much.

Anyway, I just thought SPFI would do better than that.

It depends a lot on your driving and load, as well as the condition of the fuel system and the engine itself. My parents claim to have gotten over 40 mpg in their carbed 4wd ea82 wagon when it was new (they're really conservative drivers). On my first trip after the swap, I got around 25 mpg, going 75 mph, with a decent load in the car, while pushing through 4-6" of snow. Overall, it seemed like the SPFI got similar fuel economy to the stock hitachi when driving carefully, but the SPFI did better when driving aggressively.

I have a means to swap complete from carb to spfi, and most likely will not. I had the carb doing more than the spfi and getting better gas at the same time. All I did was follow a manual and put a fuel pump non-oem per good advice. I was startled to see how much the mileage could vary with spfi, the carbs are way less dynamical.That trait actually has its benefits

One way or another there is a means for a good running soob :)

• 2 weeks later...
I have a means to swap complete from carb to spfi, and most likely will not. I had the carb doing more than the spfi and getting better gas at the same time. All I did was follow a manual and put a fuel pump non-oem per good advice. I was startled to see how much the mileage could vary with spfi, the carbs are way less dynamical.That trait actually has its benefits

What is special about the fuel pump that has led you to believe you get better gas mileage than a fuel injection changeover? Is it creating a finer fuel air mist?

wrong. the carbs are far more unpredictable/unreliable. my '85 carbed EA82 wagon got 25-28mpg when I bought it. and by the time I junked it, was lucky to see 20. and I did nothing but replace sensors, vacuum lines, etc. on that thing. and it never ran right.

my buddy's '86 carbed 4WD EA82....get's almost 40 :eek: and he does nothing but beat the hell out of it

all 3 of my SPFI wagons, lifted or otherwise, would get 25-30mpg depending on driving conditions (2 lifted, the other 3AT). and I continue to get that in the loyale with the EJ22 and FT4WD if I'm gentle on the happy pedal.

SPFI WILL help your current motor run better and more efficiently. and if you continue to drive it the same as you are now, and everything from the swap works, you will see an improvement. Comparing one carbed car with one maintenence history, and one driver, to a FI car with a completely different history/driver, is completely inconclusive.

the difference will mostly be in power, TORQUE, and driveability, but also mileage.

As time goes on, are Fuel Injection conversions a growing trend for those of us with Subarus made in the 80's? I really don't want to be a guinea pig, but if someone out there is doing them on a regular basis, successfully, I would be interested in having my car converted.

I really don't like the unsteadyiness when I'm idling. It's not horrible bad, but I notice it.

As time goes on, are Fuel Injection conversions a growing trend for those of us with Subarus made in the 80's? I really don't want to be a guinea pig, but if someone out there is doing them on a regular basis, successfully, I would be interested in having my car converted.

I really don't like the unsteadyiness when I'm idling. It's not horrible bad, but I notice it.

yes. mostly on EA82s. but you certainly won't be a pioneer on the EA81.

the growing trend seems to be going to an EJ22....but if that's not your cup of tea....SPFI is awesome.

yes. mostly on EA82s. but you certainly won't be a pioneer on the EA81.

the growing trend seems to be going to an EJ22....but if that's not your cup of tea....SPFI is awesome.

Although I used to work on my car and do the basics, I no longer do so I have not researched what those terms mean.

I don't even know if I have an EA81 or an EA82.

Although I used to work on my car and do the basics, I no longer do so I have not researched what those terms mean.

I don't even know if I have an EA81 or an EA82.

oh...sorry!

if your car has a 1.8l, it would be an EA81 (although in '81 I beleive it could be an EA71, which was a 1.6l). they didn't start making EA82s until '85, and never in the hatchbacks or brats.

the EJ22 is a MPFI 2.2l motor out of an early legacy. and is ideal for a swap. at least as reliable as an EA motor, but far more power.

oh...sorry!

if your car has a 1.8l, it would be an EA81 (although in '81 I believe it could be an EA71, which was a 1.6l). they didn't start making EA82s until '85, and never in the hatchbacks or brats.

the EJ22 is a MPFI 2.2l motor out of an early legacy. and is ideal for a swap. at least as reliable as an EA motor, but far more power.

Sounds like I have a 1.8, aka EA81.

I don't plan on engine swapping however.