Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I need to clarify the noise. It sounds more like a metal click when put into drive, I'll hear it also when the trans shifts down to second or first. My 98 OBW with 166000 miles has started making a slight clunk when put into drive. No other syptoms with the trans. Shifts smooth. Could this be a cv joint, brakes? Thanks

If the rubber boots on the drive axles are still good the axles are most likely good, check and see if they are busted and the grease is gone. they wont last long without grease. Also dont forget it could be the rear drive shaft you can look at the u- joints if they are bad you should be able to see some shiny metal where it is starting to get play.

My 98 OBW with 166000 miles has started making a slight clunk when put into drive. No other syptoms with the trans. Shifts smooth. Could this be a cv joint, brakes? Thanks

I'm going with age on this one. The 4EAT's, when they get old and worn out, get sloppy. My car's transition into drive isn't exactly the smoothest either. I would just make absolutely sure that you're not moving when you drop the car into drive and that you don't have your foot on the gas pedal.

I need to clarify the noise. It sounds more like a metal click when put into drive, I'll hear it also when the trans shifts down to second or first. My 98 OBW with 166000 miles has started making a slight clunk when put into drive. No other syptoms with the trans. Shifts smooth. Could this be a cv joint, brakes? Thanks
Help