Ultimate Subaru Message Board

help with diagnostic on 2000 Forrester

Hello. I'm new to the board. I'm sure the answer to my question is on a thread somewhere. Anyway, I have a 2000 Foresster L with about 130k on it. Love it (paid for), starting to get that wonderful "Check Engine Light" that will come on the first few minutes I travel. Doesn't happen every time, but it does seem to happen after a small studder in the engine. I suspect something like the coil pack (I guess that's what they are called) or maybe a plug wire. What's the easiest (cheapest) way to diagnose this? I really don't want to go to the dealer and get hosed. I keep reading things on here about codes. How do I find those.

Thanks in advance for direction.

Hello and welcome! :) Many auto parts stores will read the codes for you for free (hoping that you'll buy any parts required for the fix from them). Or you can get a reasonable code scanner for about $100. Make sure to write down all the codes it shows. The codes will look something like P0133. (The code scanner may show a description for the code but I prefer to note the code and then check the service manual's description).

For example, code P0133 happens to be front oxygen (A/F) sensor circuit slow response. Some codes start with P1, which I think is a manufacturer/model specific code.

Anywho, get your codes read by method of your choice and if you want post them on here and I'm sure there's plenty of knowledgable people who will tell you the description and what to look check.

Oh by the way, the connector for the code reader is normally near the bottom left of the dash on the driver's side.

Also, if the code happens to involve anything to do with the cam and/or crank position sensors, you might want to check it out right away; if the timing belt hasn't been changed yet, it's way overdue. --Louis :)

If you start replacing parts ('throwing parts at it') without reading the codes and checking the diagnostic procedure, you may spend a lot of $$$ before eventually ending up at the right part - or it may be a wiring issue or loose or corroded connector or any other number of problems.