Ultimate Subaru Message Board

front O2 sensor: OE or aftermarket, that is the question

I see many posts where OE O2 sensor is recommended, at least for the front. I'm curious as to what issues have been noted with aftermarket sensors.

Curious mainly because last year I got some code on my '96 Legacy like O2 sensor slow response or something, and I replaced the front O2 sensor with a Bosch universal aftermarket from napa. I haven't had any codes/issues, but my mileage isn't as high as I'd like it to be, and I'm wondering if it's worth it to replace it again but with an OE unit. Thanks :)

how much did you wast.. pay for it? what's oem cost? how many miles to the gals will it im prove, so how long to make back the difference? are you sure the oem will improve your mileage?

I see many posts where OE O2 sensor is recommended, at least for the front. I'm curious as to what issues have been noted with aftermarket sensors.

Curious mainly because last year I got some code on my '96 Legacy like O2 sensor slow response or something, and I replaced the front O2 sensor with a Bosch universal aftermarket from napa. I haven't had any codes/issues, but my mileage isn't as high as I'd like it to be, and I'm wondering if it's worth it to replace it again but with an OE unit. Thanks :)

[...]I replaced the front O2 sensor with a Bosch universal aftermarket from napa. I haven't had any codes/issues, but my mileage isn't as high as I'd like it to be, and I'm wondering if it's worth it to replace it again but with an OE unit. Thanks :)

I don't think anyone here can say for certain whether or not changing back to an OEM unit will improve the gas mileage you're getting. Having said that...

The front O2 sensor is the one that the ECU uses for engine management, ultimately determining air/fuel ratio; an original type is most likely to interface with the ECU correctly, and probably at least not make fuel mileage worse than it was. (The rear sensor, since it's used for determining cat efficiency, shouldn't affect mileage; if not OEM, the worst that a slight mismatch might do is cause a P0420 code a little sooner or later than with an OEM unit.)

I realize that the above may not have helped in making a decision, but it's typically why OEM is suggested for the front sensor but not necessarily for the rear.

OK thanks for all the info guys! I wasted (payed) about the same for the Bosch aftermarket universal as I could have gotten the OE for online. That was right after I got the vehicle and before I knew of online sources and wanted to fix it right away before the car blew up :eek: (as I was convinced would happen if I drove it for more than a day with that code). :lol:

Anywho, I guess I'd have to do the 'manager math' on it as my boss's boss's boss calls it, which if I increased 1mpg with new OE sensor vs. one I have now, it would be a 18,762 mile payback, if my calculations are correct [(24mpg vs 23mpg), @$3.07/gallon, say $100 for new sensor)] Of course the 10% ethanol in this NY gasoline probably doesn't help mileage.

givenb those numbers i'm not sure it's worth it. but if it drives better , and you enjoy it more, plus the mileage improvement (think of what you'll be doing for the environment)... the only question is when to change?

how did the car improve when you put in the bosch? if it didn't improve then i wouldn't expect any now.

you might askyourself if the car needs another more pressinf repair first.

good luck.

ps: the pay back will speed up as the price of gas goes up, but the mileage problem may be the ethanol not the sensor.

OK thanks for all the info guys! I wasted (payed) about the same for the Bosch aftermarket universal as I could have gotten the OE for online. That was right after I got the vehicle and before I knew of online sources and wanted to fix it right away before the car blew up :eek: (as I was convinced would happen if I drove it for more than a day with that code). :lol:

Anywho, I guess I'd have to do the 'manager math' on it as my boss's boss's boss calls it, which if I increased 1mpg with new OE sensor vs. one I have now, it would be a 18,762 mile payback, if my calculations are correct [(24mpg vs 23mpg), @$3.07/gallon, say $100 for new sensor)] Of course the 10% ethanol in this NY gasoline probably doesn't help mileage.