Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cooling fans...normal??

I recently picked up my s/nsake for $200 and drove it home.

One thing that I've noticed is that whenever the key is in the acc. position, that the fan/fans come on. Is this normal, or is this some sort of rigged contraption that I need to find/get rid of?

I'm working on restoring this from scratch, and sealing the motor, etc. is part of the plan. I'm also taking out the entire a/c system (not really needed), so some help on this fan issue would be appreciated.

good possibilty that the fan has been rewired.. a quick fix for a bad thermo switch or additional help for a less then stable cooling system.

I've done this a few times just because I know I dont have to worry about the fan coming on when it's supposed to..

rllywgn

Make sure you check under the dash for lamp cord, melted wires, melted connectors, blown fuses...........

Hopefully your PO was a little smarter than mine.

Also, if the fan makes a sound other than a nice smooth blowing air sound, replace it. A rattle or grinding noise is bad.

Also, if the fan makes a sound other than a nice smooth blowing air sound, replace it. A rattle or grinding noise is bad.

i had one that sounded like a fire siren at its highest pitch... that got quite a few looks.

my fan was rigged, but i bypassed the thermoswitch with a straight wire through the thermoswitch plug.. so now its rigged in a tidier manner. my brother originally replaced the stock elec fan with an aftermarket, and then spliced the hot side onto the factory plug, and the ground went to the thermostat housing. i put a stock fan back in, and am using the stock plug.. but have a bad thermoswitch in the radiator, so i bypassed it.

however, when i was playing with it.. plugged into the bad thermoswitch, the fan still failed to come on with the AC. i would like to trace this to a possible cause, but dont have a clue where to start... if any help comes up on the thread for my issue as well, 'twould be appreciated.

anyhow, check that thermoswitch plug. it may be bypassed the way i did mine, which would mean your thermoswitch is probly bad, and could just be replaced and plugged back in, and it should function normally. the stock fan connector is a roundish, oval shaped plug with two wires on it.. and the thermoswitch varied. I have a T-type connector,(87 GL10) but the loyale i took my rad out of (92) had another roundish plug... but the switch in question in just above the drain valve for the radiator. look down there and see if its plugged in or not.. and if not, find a plug that looks like it fits there.

Make sure you check under the dash for lamp cord, melted wires, melted connectors, blown fuses...

Whachoo be doin' lookin' in my car, Welder?? :lol:

I took out a redneck security system, which involved a round key which activated a solenoid, which slid a hood latch in place to lock the hood down. There's lamp cord in the engine bay, a melted wire or two, but no blown fuses that I can see...