Ultimate Subaru Message Board

14" Off Road Holy Grail!

FlyB0y

http://www.itptires.com/mudlitextr.html

W00t!! all I can say is ABOUT TIME!! :clap::clap::clap:

Just when I was thinking of resorting to 15" back-hoe tires for a full time off-road tire, I happend to stop off at Les Schwab Tire and find this AMAZING new ATV tire that is not only RADIAL, but also comes in a 14"!!!!

soon as I have the cash to buy the tires (and new axles :rolleyes:) I am going to have these on a seperate set of rims to put-on when I go 4wheel'n

might be a while till I can do it as I have a ton of other things going on (starting a new business, and getting a more "streetable" subie on the road) I will definatly be paying the $300 (or less if I can find it on the net :-p) to Schwab/Tire Ramma for these 6-ply brutes!

for all of you who stuck it out with 14" wheels here is your reward hehe (now if we can just get a streetable version too :brow:)

Oh Yeah! I just found them for $120 ea at a local motorcycle shop (AL's Cycle in Hamilton) with a wait of only 2 days! (vs 2 weeks from Les Schwab:dead:)

Can't WAIT till I can afford these tires! Looks like the new trend in ATV is 14" rims to allow for street rubber for your ATV so I know for a fact (they had some street rubber on 14" ATV wheels at Schwab) that these will work on a standard rim

Oh and when you look at the description of the 14" tires on the site they specificly state "thinner sidewalls of the 14" tire makes for more of a all-terrain tire with less flex than the 12 inch adding greater stability" so, these should be PERFECT for our purposes :slobber::burnout::headbang:

You will be overloading the tires but...

As long as you get a 6 ply, they should be able to handle the load.

But weight is not your only concern.

You also need to be careful with your width.

A 12" wide tire should be on a 9" wide rim.

Running a 12" wide tire on a 6" or 5.5" pug is a bit narrow.

Besides the width issue, you may have clearance issues due to the off-set.

I also see wheel well trimming in your future.

I wouldn't even thing about running them on the street.

Keep them just for off-road. Your also going to have to up the air pressure!

I run a 12" on an 8.5" rim to keep the rim.

I went with an 8.5 to keep the rims "in" a bit away from rocks.

Good luck!

Let us know how this works.

You will be overloading the tires but...

As long as you get a 6 ply, they should be able to handle the load.

But weight is not your only concern.

You also need to be careful with your width.

A 12" wide tire should be on a 9" wide rim.

Running a 12" wide tire on a 6" or 5.5" pug is a bit narrow.

Besides the width issue, you may have clearance issues due to the off-set.

I also see wheel well trimming in your future.

I wouldn't even thing about running them on the street.

Keep them just for off-road. Your also going to have to up the air pressure!

I run a 12" on an 8.5" rim to keep the rim.

I went with an 8.5 to keep the rims "in" a bit away from rocks.

Good luck!

Let us know how this works.

Good point, I definatly agree on the off-road only use of these tires .. and the particular ones I have seen in the store were front tires, so they were more like 7" wide, and I believe there are some in-between those sizes, so I will make sure the ones I get will work on my 6" wide nissan rims. As far as clearance goes, I believe I will be ok since I have my wheel wells open enough for even larger super swampers.

DAMN!!!!!!!!! those are sick

subaru's dont way that much anyway...that would be like an ATV with a couple people on it....and it said that the tire grows when weight is applied.

they don't weigh much as far as cars go, but they weigh a few times as much as an ATV. if an ATV + a couple people on it = subaru...then your ATV must weigh at least 3000 lbs!!!

Hey Guys This is Jerry, these tires are really great in the mud he didn't have any problems running them in the mud except all the mud that flue every where. Can you say mud shower wow really cool to see. We had to install longer studs and use wheel spacers because os the tires being so wide they hit on the rear trailing arm. The tire pressure was set at 10 psi. If we had to do it again we would get the 9 inch tire not the 11 inch tire that way wouldn't have to use longer studs or spacers. Thanks Jerry

Hey Guys This is Jerry, these tires are really great in the mud he didn't have any problems running them in the mud except all the mud that flue every where. Can you say mud shower wow really cool to see. We had to install longer studs and use wheel spacers because os the tires being so wide they hit on the rear trailing arm. The tire pressure was set at 10 psi. If we had to do it again we would get the 9 inch tire not the 11 inch tire that way wouldn't have to use longer studs or spacers. Thanks Jerry

You know, I might just go with all "Front" tires ... they are perfectly sized for standard rims, and $10 cheaper hehe

becides, I'm not going to mud-bog, just trails with a lil mud here and there ... and narrow might be better for on the brat

Qustionable - look at the tire spec chart:

http://www.itptires.com/tirereference.html

* Suggested air pressure is five (5) PSI !!!

I dunno what 2500 lbs will do to them - squishy and popping beads all day.

(PK apologizes for raining on parade)

...but then, Jerry's coworker is using them - need to talk to him for sure..

I run my Dirt Devils at 25 + psi!

That's way over the ATV psi recomendations but that's going to keep them on.

Since I welded the diff and put the ATV's on, I have never spun a tire!

Nothing will compare with traction you'll get.

• 2 weeks later...
I run my Dirt Devils at 25 + psi!

That's way over the ATV psi recomendations but that's going to keep them on.

Since I welded the diff and put the ATV's on, I have never spun a tire!

Nothing will compare with traction you'll get.

Whoa! 25 PSI on a tire that is rated at 5 right? hehe ... I have a question for ya too ... my mechanic is concerned that with the weight of a gen 2 brat, I will have a hard time with the beads holding because of the side load on anything harder than sand or mud? Also I understand thatin the 6-lug there are bead locking wheels available ... are atv tires compatable with bead-locking rims? thanks! .... Dayn

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing these tires surely has me thinking of getting the little impreza dirty again!

Couple ideas though..... Anyone run tubes inside these? Would it make any difference in the tire handling higher psi?

Beadlocks: Why not run a dozen or so sheetmetal screws into the beads per wheel? Seems to work for drag racers....:-\

Jay

• 2 weeks later...