Ultimate Subaru Message Board

kartboy short shifter giving me B/S

i have a 96 impreza L...and after taking an hour to tear out my old shifter....i go to install the kartboy shifter and the ball is too small for the socket, slips right in and slips right out....now i dont think i have the older style linkage like my g/f's 93 L....hers the shifter is the fork where as my shifter is teh barrel...however the L shifter ball is bigger than the kartboy ball....and the kartboy barrel doesnt fit in the linkage fork.....its too wide

so maybe for some stupid reason 96 was the older, newer style shift linkage....anyways i wanna use this kartboy shifter....so what should i do....will the whole shifter assembly from an rs work with the tranny?...should i get the sti short shifter assembly.....

im sure this has happened to someone else.....help me out

-sean

i have a 96 impreza L...and after taking an hour to tear out my old shifter....i go to install the kartboy shifter and the ball is too small for the socket, slips right in and slips right out....now i dont think i have the older style linkage like my g/f's 93 L....hers the shifter is the fork where as my shifter is teh barrel...however the L shifter ball is bigger than the kartboy ball....and the kartboy barrel doesnt fit in the linkage fork.....its too wide

so maybe for some stupid reason 96 was the older, newer style shift linkage....anyways i wanna use this kartboy shifter....so what should i do....will the whole shifter assembly from an rs work with the tranny?...should i get the sti short shifter assembly.....

im sure this has happened to someone else.....help me out

-sean

If it's new, probably just send it back for exchange?

Anyway, if no experienced help shows up here, try posting this (or just searching) at http://www.nasioc.com

Carl

yea i've posted it on rs25.....didnt start searchin on nasioc yet....just went through 25 pages on rs25....i cant imagine how much is on nabisco

you dont know if the shifter linkage from an rs will work on an L tho do ya?

sorry, I just don't.

sounds like you got the bases covered though.

good luck