Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi- Need Some Help for My Dad

Hi everyone!

I'm brand new, and have to be completely honest here. I'm a moderator of a top BMW forum (unofficialbmw.com), and with my 1985 325e, I'm a great mechanic.

However, with my Dad's 1998 Forester, I'm lost because:

1. My Dad's 84 and knows nothing about his car other than it drives great...
  2. I'm in Colorado, Vail actually, and he and his car are in the Hamptons in New York...
  3. I have no access to the car 2000 miles away.

Therefore, I'm going to ask what will appear to be stupid questions, and may not understand the answers completely, or may have to wait a few hours until I contact him to respond to your suggestions. I'm hoping you'll all be patient with me cause my Dad's a VERY cool guy, and I'm just trying to make things easier for him. Also, he simply LOVES his Subie...

About the car:

1998 Alpine White Forester

Immaculate condition

72K miles

Very Smooth and reliable

His car's always serviced by Subaru (I would change that if I were there ;) )

The current problem... His f--king Check Engine light!!!

It comes on for a day or two, then it goes out. Sometimes it'll stay off for a week, 5 days etc. Then, all of a sudden, it comes back on again and stays on for a day or two, then goes out.

He had it checked by Subaru and they said, "Everything's fine, just ignore it!"

My 84 year old cool Dad said... "They must be kidding! How can you ignore a bright yellow Check Engine light at my age!"

So, I'm throwing myself at your mercy to try to determine some conditions that could throw this light on for no reason at all!!!

Help and thanks in advance....

Thanks!

Wouldn't Subaru have read the same codes when checking the problem? Doesn't matter though...

There's an Autozone 18 miles from him which he can go to and check.

He told me they checked the gas cap, and I don't know if they checked the wires, but the car's running great and he reports no weird behavior other than the light!

Have him tighten the gas cap mutiple clicks (a dozen or more can't hurt).

At 72K it's possible the front O2 sensor is just starting to get lazy.

If he has the service ticket, or can call it up at www.my.subaru.com , find the code they read and let us know.

Your dad sounds like a great guy, let's keep him enjoying his wheels!

Carl

Welcome to the forum here. Glad to hear your dad likes the Soob.

I also agree with the others with the gas cap being the problem. The other choices I would guess are the O2 sensor or the knock sensor, though I would think the shop would say something if it were one of them causing this error.

You can mention to your dad that the CEL light is there mainly for the engine emissions system operation so when it turns on it isn't a real emergency when it comes on but it should be checked into when it can be arranged to do so.

Welcome to the forum here. Glad to hear your dad likes the Soob.

I also agree with the others with the gas cap being the problem. The other choices I would guess are the O2 sensor or the knock sensor, though I would think the shop would say something if it were one of them causing this error.

You can mention to your dad that the CEL light is there mainly for the engine emissions system operation so when it turns on it isn't a real emergency when it comes on but it should be checked into when it can be arranged to do so.

Good point. If the CEL begins FLASHING, or the CEL is on AND there is noticeable problems with operating the car or rough idling, etc. Immediate attention is needed.

Carl

Thanks everyone!

I'm going to have him crank down the gas cap and see what happens.

I talked to him last night, and asked a very simple question. "When you went to Subaru to have them check it, was the light on or off?"

His reply was that it was off so I told him that's no help whatsoever cause without the light on, there's no error condition at all and the codes would come back normal. I also told him to watch it and to get his butt over to either Autozone or Subie as soon as the light pops on so they can get a reading of the codes while the light's on.

Maybe the gasket on the cap is screwed. He's going to be very diligent about watching the light and get us all the codes as soon as he can.

Thanks for all the replies and the welcome too. Being a BMW nut, the Subie's a bit out of my realm. On my BMW, I'm the original owner, 220K miles, have rebuilt most of the car, new rubber everywhere under the car and it's immaculate! Unfortunately, now that I have it back to such incredible condition, I can't get myself to drive it that much!!! :banghead: Here's a pic of my 21 year old car:

ubbfull.jpg

Luckily, his Subie's in really great shape and he truly LOVES his car. WHen it looks like rain, he goes out there and lovingly soaps up the car (his condo place doesn't allow him to wash and rinse the car) just before the skies open up to rinse it for him, and every few days, polishes a panel on the car... After a few weeks, he starts over again on the first panel he did. Nothing like someone lovin' his car!

Symptoms of a cross threaded ( Easily done on the Gen 1 Foresters 98 - 02 ) or loose unsealed gas cap on the Forester are:

When the gas gauge drops to about 3/4 tank from a full tank, the light comes on. Then after refilling the tank, the light remains on until the gauge once again falls below 3/4 tank, then goes off.

Other errors will usually clear after 2 to 4 driving cycles without the same error being detected.

In the Subaru also, the last error is SAVED even though the light is out on the OBDII equipped models ( 96 to current ). But it must be readout only with an OBDII tool.

he can also rent a reader from autozone and see things in real time. Then he can check the code when the light is on. i am pretty sure the gas cap does not apply to a 1998, as my 98 legacy would never throw a light with cap off. I think that hs to do with 2001 or newer. My gut feeling is a lazy 02 sensor is throwing a code.

nipper

Hi everyone!

I'm brand new, and have to be completely honest here. I'm a moderator of a top BMW forum (unofficialbmw.com), and with my 1985 325e, I'm a great mechanic.

However, with my Dad's 1998 Forester, I'm lost because:

1. My Dad's 84 and knows nothing about his car other than it drives great...
  2. I'm in Colorado, Vail actually, and he and his car are in the Hamptons in New York...
  3. I have no access to the car 2000 miles away.

Therefore, I'm going to ask what will appear to be stupid questions, and may not understand the answers completely, or may have to wait a few hours until I contact him to respond to your suggestions. I'm hoping you'll all be patient with me cause my Dad's a VERY cool guy, and I'm just trying to make things easier for him. Also, he simply LOVES his Subie...

About the car:

1998 Alpine White Forester

Immaculate condition

72K miles

Very Smooth and reliable

His car's always serviced by Subaru (I would change that if I were there ;) )

The current problem... His f--king Check Engine light!!!

It comes on for a day or two, then it goes out. Sometimes it'll stay off for a week, 5 days etc. Then, all of a sudden, it comes back on again and stays on for a day or two, then goes out.

He had it checked by Subaru and they said, "Everything's fine, just ignore it!"

My 84 year old cool Dad said... "They must be kidding! How can you ignore a bright yellow Check Engine light at my age!"

So, I'm throwing myself at your mercy to try to determine some conditions that could throw this light on for no reason at all!!!

Help and thanks in advance....

I had a "Knock Sensor" do the very same thing to my 98 Legacy Wagon

this reminds me of a funny on/offtopic story.

when i worked at the local independant Good Year (Wexford Tire and Service) there was a guy that came in saying that every day at exactly the same time on exactly the same hill in the morning on the way to work, his check engine light would come on. we checked the codes and there were none reading currently, or saved. it ran fine, emmisions were great, tires were aired up, gas cap was tight and held pressure, no overheating, etc. What was the problem? Think about it, then reaad the answer below.

Nice bimmer. my best friend's been through 3 of them. his first was a 1984 535i, his second was a 1992 (i think) 535i, and now he has a 1995(ish) 525i. he loves those stupid cars. He killed the first one when he forgot to turn on a road and hit a roadsign that punctured and tore a few engine components:banghead:, he killed his second one after sliding on ice (nevermind he was high :dead:(which is why i wasn't talking to him at the time)) and so far his 3rd one is a tank.

Answer to the Check Engine Light story: Sunglare through the window in the morning bounced into the car and illuminated the CEL space. :banana:

Thanks for the comments on the car. At 21 years old, it's still getting over 30 miles per gallon, chipped, up here at 9,000' above sea level!

OK, I can positively verify that my Dad's light is NOT reflecting sunlight, but that's a GREAT story!

"Doctor, it hurts when I do this..."

"Then, don't DO that!"

:) If the gas cap is not the problem, it's possible that he may have a leak somewhere in the evap system. I had this happen to my last rig (Dakota) and the code was the same for a loose gas cap or evap system leak. I know it may differ from the Subaru's codes of course. Have him check the charcoal canister connections. I believe it is a black box located under the rear portion of car (at least that's where it is on my Baja). Sometimes the hoses get 'brittle' and will crack where they attach to the canister. Just clip a little off each hose so you have a fresh tight hookup to the canister. Couldn't hurt to try and will cost nothing! I'm not sure if you need to reset the ECU after doing this, but I'm sure someone on this forum can tell you how to do it if necessary. Good luck!:headbang:

Spacinjason

'06 Baja Turbo MT:burnout:

There is an Autozone in Riverhead on L.I. and they will pull the code for free. It's a bit of a drive but perhaps another chain more local offers the same service.

Thanks all... I'm talking to him on his cell phone, he's got 1/2 tank of gas, he's parked talking to me, the engine's running, and the light just popped on again! And, the A/C is on!

Hi Brus...

Yep, that's where he'd go. That's where the Soob dealer is too. Actually, the Riverhead Soob service recently moved from their OWN building to that of the VW dealership, just for service! They've also had quite a bit of managerial turnover there.

Ya mean like NASA, "O-rings... ah don't worry about it."

BTW, don't forget to tell dad to let Autozone check the car while the CEL is still lit. I'm not sure if he'd have to keep the car running or if the CEL will go out once the car has been turned off and restarted.

Ya think? With "techs" that say things like "it's nothing, ignore it". . .