Ultimate Subaru Message Board

You probably can't help but I figured it was worth a shot.

Last night I left work and my CEL came on. I drove an hour home and the car ran fine the entire time.

The last maintenence I did was install an air filter. So I checked the MAF sensor to see if the connector came loose or something. It was fine. The code still hasn't cleared. I have no idea what it could be and I don't have a code reader nor do I have any time to take it to the dealership.

The car is a 2004 Impreza 2.5TS manual with 47000 mi on the clock.

It's still under warranty but I work 14 hours a day so unless they're gonna pay me for my time off to get it there, it doesn't help much. There is not local dealership so I can't run over on my lunch break or anything like that.

Any help would be much appreciated (I know it's not much information).

You probably can't help but I figured it was worth a shot.

Last night I left work and my CEL came on. I drove an hour home and the car ran fine the entire time.

The last maintenence I did was install an air filter. So I checked the MAF sensor to see if the connector came loose or something. It was fine. The code still hasn't cleared. I have no idea what it could be and I don't have a code reader nor do I have any time to take it to the dealership.

The car is a 2004 Impreza 2.5TS manual with 47000 mi on the clock.

It's still under warranty but I work 14 hours a day so unless they're gonna pay me for my time off to get it there, it doesn't help much. There is not local dealership so I can't run over on my lunch break or anything like that.

Any help would be much appreciated (I know it's not much information).

Make sure the gas cap is tight, double check the bottom/backside of the airbox has its 'tabs' properly inserted (easy to not clip the intake box back correctly after a filter change). Then, disconnect the neg. batt. terminal, step on the brake pedal, reconn. the batt. after 30 minutes or so. That should clear the light. If the CEL comes back immediately, you likely need to get the code read. Autozone and perhaps other places can read them. If you have a 'gearhead' co-worker he might loan you a reader. You can buy decent ones for $100-$150 .

Carl

I tightened my gas cap and no dice. It was tight to begin with but just for the hell of it, I took it off and re-tightened it.

I am aware that it mught take a few cycles for it turn off but I'm down to a quarter tank and havn't filled it since Tuesday. If this was the problem it should've showed sooner, right?

The air box is properly seated. I know this because I had some trouble and it took a few minutes to get it to seat and close properly.

I guess I'll try disconnecting the battery this weekend and resetting it.

I also understand that the fella with the BMW has a parallel thread running, so I'll refer to that one.

Thanks,

Chris

If you have time you could maybe stop by an auto parts chain like auto zone; many will read the codes for free (hoping you'll parts from them). If you do it, I'd write down any codes they give, like P0300 or whatever, and look them up. The P0 codes have generic ODBII descriptions, but P1 codes I think are manufacturer/model specific.

I tightened my gas cap and no dice. It was tight to begin with but just for the hell of it, I took it off and re-tightened it.

I am aware that it mught take a few cycles for it turn off but I'm down to a quarter tank and havn't filled it since Tuesday. If this was the problem it should've showed sooner, right?

The air box is properly seated. I know this because I had some trouble and it took a few minutes to get it to seat and close properly.

I guess I'll try disconnecting the battery this weekend and resetting it.

I also understand that the fella with the BMW has a parallel thread running, so I'll refer to that one.

Thanks,

Chris

:)You may have a leak in the evap system. You may want to check the hoses attached to the charcoal canister. I posted more on that parallel thread you mentioned. Good luck!:)

Spacinjason

'06 Baja Turbo MT:burnout:

IIRC, your dad's CEL comes and goes. Remind him to go to Autozone with the CEL on and ask the rep to come and read it while the car is still running in case the CEL decides to go out after he drove there. Anyway, this gent's seems to be staying on. Harbor Freight has an OBD scanner for about $40 and they always have some sort of promotion (% off or $5 off order)that would make up for small shipping charge.

So, on these Soobs, disconnecting the battery for an hour or so forces the ECU to be reset? That's what we do with the BMWs too... In my dad's case, I don't think his ECU is shot, but perhaps resetting it wouldn't be a bad thing.

Update:

Friday night the CEL finally went out, and I took the old girl for a rather spirited drive on a dirt road. As soon as I got on the dirt and revved her up it came back. Stayed on until Sunday afternoon then it went out and has yet to return. I haven't driven on dirt though.

This has me thinking MAF but I really don't know. Any thoughts?

When I changed the air filter I bought the cheap one at Autozone. Could this be the problem? I've got to go by the dealership at some point and get some oil filters, I might as well grab an air filter or 2 while I'm there.

Thanks again,

Chris