Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi guys! I want to know how to do power shift! What's the best RPM to do it and so on... I can put it out of gear without the clutch, but I ain't brave enough to put it back in without more info! I have a Impreza 05 2.5 RS. Thanks

Trying to powershift/flatshift/whatever you want to call it not good on your transmission. Particularly if you don't know what you're doing. Also, most new transmissions with low wear, your's likely, won't shift that way since the tolerances are too close. If you want to shift fast either get good with the clutch, at which point you'd know which RPMs work best, or get a dogbox, at which point you still have to know how to rev-match.

Sorry if I sound like an a** but your question sounds newbish and unexperienced and I'd hate to see you break a perfectly good tranny in a perfectly good Subaru :).

Hi guys! I want to know how to do power shift! What's the best RPM to do it and so on... I can put it out of gear without the clutch, but I ain't brave enough to put it back in without more info! I have a Impreza 05 2.5 RS. Thanks

powershift BAD!

that said its not a bad thing to know how to do. This goes along with double clutching. Power shifting has gotten me home on a broken clutch cable. Dad was a professional driver and taught me how.

Now i am not responsible for you screwing up your transmission.

when you shift normally, watch your tach. you want to keep your road speed steady and see how far the rpms drop. To powershift you must be able to do the same thing. If the rpms drop by 500, then you have to drop them by 500 using your right foot, and not let the road speed drop too much. Sometimes its easier to do it on a down shift then an upshift (only this time your raising engine rpm) . There is a sweet spot where you can put the car in gear. Do not force it, but you have guide it in. Grinding is bad.

After a few attempts at this, if you cant do it, give up. Its not worth screwing up your gears.

nipper

Thanks a lot! I'm not a idiot and I don't want to screw up my car. That I love by the way. But like he said, it's not a bad thing to know. And I'm good with the clutch. I would love to make a couple of laps on a race track, just to see how is my driving skills! But back to the topic, I will try. But I will go easy! Thanks again!

powershift BAD!

that said its not a bad thing to know how to do. This goes along with double clutching. Power shifting has gotten me home on a broken clutch cable. Dad was a professional driver and taught me how.

Now i am not responsible for you screwing up your transmission.

when you shift normally, watch your tach. you want to keep your road speed steady and see how far the rpms drop. To powershift you must be able to do the same thing. If the rpms drop by 500, then you have to drop them by 500 using your right foot, and not let the road speed drop too much. Sometimes its easier to do it on a down shift then an upshift (only this time your raising engine rpm) . There is a sweet spot where you can put the car in gear. Do not force it, but you have guide it in. Grinding is bad.

After a few attempts at this, if you cant do it, give up. Its not worth screwing up your gears.

nipper

"Power shifting" won't save the amateur any time on the track; probably doesn't save the pro much with a synchromesh gearbox. Learning to double clutch, especially on downshifts, can reduce wear on your synchros (at the expense of wearing other parts). I agree that learning to shift without a clutch is a useful skill, and I learned it early and practice it occasionally.

Get on Craigslist and find a manual tranny car that is running and go ahead and practice on that and if you blow the tranny/motor up just call the local wrecker and they'll pick it up for free :P .... power shifting is not really a necessity to know and if you know how to do it and do it incorrectly your ************ outta luck

And about the double clutching? How does this work?

The whole concept of double clutching is to let the engine make the gears match speed in order to mesh. The first "clutch" is to take the transmission out of gear (to avoid gear/synchro damage that might be caused pulling gears apart when they are under load). Then, with the tranny in neutral and the clutch pedal let out, change the engine's speed to match what it will be in the gear that you are going to change into; if a higher gear you just let the engine slow down a bit, if lower then you blip the throttle to speed up the engine. When the engine speed is "right", depress the clutch again and shift into that gear. Experience and consistancy are important to doing all of this smoothly... and without embarrassing noises. Light pressure on the gear shift lever can tell you alot about how close the gears are to meshing.

Clutchless shifting uses the same concept but without all of the clutch footwork. Change throttle to allow the engine to "float" between power and engine braking, remove tranny from gear and then change the engine's speed as above and apply pressure to the shift lever at the "right" speed.