Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ20 EGR valve (european model) and Haynes manual

Hi everyone,

I got my hands on the Haynes manual (89100) which seems pretty nice, except a few things. It only handles the 2.2 and 2.5, but EJ20 from 1st 1991 series is same as EJ22 (i thought) and all measures are only in imperial (but a good conversion table is provided). I am going to do everything myself on this car because dealers are also not so populair here in holland, and i am handy enough. The Legacy wagon from 1991 with non-turbo EJ20 and automatic runs great still after 220.000 km (not a lot but lots above 120 miles/hour). Only the 4eat has been rebuilt cause some parts inside were molten togehter after it overheated at 125 mls/h (:cool: ) but my parents let it rebuild.

I was looking in chapter 6 about the emission in section 6-13 and 6-14 the EGR valve is described but if i look on the photo's and under the hood i can not find the valve on my 1991 EJ20 (non-turbo, LHD). It should be right behind the intake manifold across the brakefluid resevoir but my EJ20 has notting there which looks like a valve there some empty threadholes on the cylinderhead which could be for the EGR but might also be for the a/c which i also do not have. Is the european model not equiped with an EGR valve or is it located somewhere else on the block? The illustration on 6-13 (6.2 typical EGR system) shows an tube going into the intake manifold through on of the intake pipes, i have not seen this on my block.

Small second question: are the tightening tourques for the the bolts as in the haynes for the 2.2 soch the same as for the 2.0 soch because it is the same engine with just smaller bore?