Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Right front wheel making odd noises...

Hi,

Recently my left front wheel (2000 Subaru Outback Wagon, 111,000 miles) has been making a sort of squeaking/grinding noise, that occassionally sounds like you're moving a straw up and down in a fast food drink. (You know what that sounds like!)

- It has been intermittent. Seems to like drier weather.

- Started in NC in early July, noticed it mostly when turning while slowly moving into a parking space.

- It stopped mid-July when I returned home. Very hot/wet weather through July.

- Suddenly is back again with a vengeance. Cooler weather,drier. Happens at slow speeds and up to abour 40 mph whether turning, or just driving straight.

- Does not get any worse over bumps.

- Can't replicate noise while parked and pushing up and down on front end (not s busted spring?)

- Brake pads looked good! About 50%.

- Pulled wheel off, could "see" nothing wrong... but did not check to see if castle nut was loose or not.

Any initial thoughts or suggestions on what to look for if I pull the wheel again tomorrow afternoon? I will also check for differential heating between brake discs on my next drive.

Seen similar messages on here with no clear solution or many posts explaining any sort of resolution. Sorry if I am :horse:

Figures this had to happen on a weekend when I'm working. :(

Thanks for any tips,

-Mike

Check for wheel bearing play by jacking it up and pushing in and out at the 6:00 and 12:00 also spin wheel and listen. If you dont find anything there take caliper off and check pads for crack, if everything looks good you may have a rotor out of round.

Hi,

Recently my left front wheel (2000 Subaru Outback Wagon, 111,000 miles) has been making a sort of squeaking/grinding noise, that occassionally sounds like you're moving a straw up and down in a fast food drink. (You know what that sounds like!)

- It has been intermittent. Seems to like drier weather.

- Started in NC in early July, noticed it mostly when turning while slowly moving into a parking space.

- It stopped mid-July when I returned home. Very hot/wet weather through July.

- Suddenly is back again with a vengeance. Cooler weather,drier. Happens at slow speeds and up to abour 40 mph whether turning, or just driving straight.

- Does not get any worse over bumps.

- Can't replicate noise while parked and pushing up and down on front end (not s busted spring?)

- Brake pads looked good! About 50%.

- Pulled wheel off, could "see" nothing wrong... but did not check to see if castle nut was loose or not.

Any initial thoughts or suggestions on what to look for if I pull the wheel again tomorrow afternoon? I will also check for differential heating between brake discs on my next drive.

Seen similar messages on here with no clear solution or many posts explaining any sort of resolution. Sorry if I am :horse:

Figures this had to happen on a weekend when I'm working. :(

Thanks for any tips,

-Mike

I'd put a small amount of money on a corroded slider pin on the brake caliper assembly, or a slightly rusted piston in the caliper itself that is not entirely releasing. When did you last have the brakes serviced, where they would pull the pads, clean all parts, relube the slider pins, and reassemble the unit? When was the last time you had the brake system flushed of the old fluid, new fluid installed, and all of the calipers rebled? Both procedures, if neglected, will give you the symptoms you describe. But there are other wheel related parts, referred to by the other threads before mine, that may give you the same signs. Good Luck!

Thanks for the replies. Don't believe I had the brakes fully serviced like that in a long time, so hopefully that is all it is. Didn't hear the noise at all today (after it was very obnoxious the day before). Flying to AZ tomorrow, so will have to look into the other suggestions next week. At worst, will bring this list to the mechanic so he can look a little closer.

Thanks again.

-Mike