Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Power options???

Ok, so I have an 82' EA81 Wagon, 4 speed manual d/r.

I am going to lift it, and put 27's on it. I want to off road it, get above 20mpg, move decently on the highway and roads, and it will be a daily driver.

So, do I try to beef up the EA81 by using MPFI, and other mods, do I drop an EA82 MPFI N/A spider (XT engine), or just drop an EJ22 into it?

I think above 100 HP will be ok, the EJ would be sweet, but not sure of cost.

What do you guys think?

Rick :banana:

there really is no way to make the EA-81 you have MPFI unless you swap heads and manifolds, with all the assorted wiring and stuff. At that point, it would be just as easy to drop in the EJ22 and with that you get an additional 45 horsepower, so it should be a no brainer. :banana:

Frankly, with 27's your best bet is to either swap on the SPFI from a later 80's, or early 90's loyale, or to get a Weber. You will have plenty of power with either one - enough to break things and want more lift and bigger tires. Decent exhaust and the weber or the SPFI will probably get you up close to 90 HP, which is plenty.

Above 20 MPG is about right too - you'll probably get around 20-22 depending on inflation etc.

The EA81 you have is particularly well suited to off-road as it has no weak timing belts, and is extremely easy to fix on the trail should the need arise.

EJ swap is a bigger headache and more expensive - and again I don't like the timing belts.

GD

yah.. unless you just get a ten-sleeve of the bearings necessary, and keep em in da toolbox :brow:

question tho.. someone said you would have to swap heads for the MPFI... uhm..... huh?!? what heads, the OHC heads?! what heads would you put onto an EA 81 to make it run the MPFI?

i would say the spfi is pretty adequate, and i am eternally opposed to "electric carburetors" as i call them ordinarily.. but it seems to me that its the oddballs (the MPFIs) that have more complexity, hence more issues with them and more frequently. However, the MPFI does offer the option of more fuel via larger injectors later...

it boils down to one question.. are you going to Want more power when you are done with this, and cope, or are you going to Make more power once this gets "finished?" because if you think it may be open-ended, a motor swap might be in order.. id say ea82T or if you want a ej22.. but i like the idea of the good ol stock turbo, maybe boost controlled, and bigger injectors, running the wheel... that makes all the cummins and banks boys out there that much angrier when they see you skimming thru stuff they couldnt touch with a ten foot pole just cuz theyd sink :D

thats my two bits

question tho.. someone said you would have to swap heads for the MPFI... uhm..... huh?!? what heads, the OHC heads?! what heads would you put onto an EA 81 to make it run the MPFI?

EA81 Turbo heads are MPFI. Still single port heads, but they have injector bosses on them. Theoretically you could run MPFI using the XT's computer and such (MPFI non-turbo) with the EA81 carb block, and EA81T heads and some funky mismatch of EA81T manifold/EA82 TB parts...... would be a real weird setup and to my knowledge it's never been tried.

GD