Ultimate Subaru Message Board

you didn't say whether it's an automatic or manual but since this is a newer generation forum it almost has to be an automatic.

it is meant to be a temporary item and is questionable what problems it will or will not cause. i've only done it before for short term use with no issues on an automatic. i've done it for a long time on a manual trans but that's a completely different scenario.

why are you wanting to do this? if it's for gas mileage it won't work so don't bother.

The manual I read said that the solenoid is not designed for a 100% duty cycle. It is also deep in the transmission and not easy to replace.

my 2 cents: don't doo it.

Oooh, not good. I should put it back in AWD. I've been doing it for close to a year now. Bad me?!

And yes, it is an automatic tranny.

I've been doing it for close to a year now.
why? it does not help gas mileage if that's why you're doing it. if there's no reason then it's certainly not worth the risk.

the duty c solenoid isn't what i would consider deep in the transmission. it's actually accessible without removing the transmission and can be done with average tools that a home mechanic would have. you have to remove the rear tail housing with the clutches in it, which isn't all that difficult as far as transmission work goes.

you didn't say whether it's an automatic or manual but since this is a newer generation forum it almost has to be an automatic.

why are you wanting to do this? if it's for gas mileage it won't work so don't bother.

Well, I've been doing it for almost a year now. I do it because my old tranny went bad back in July of last year and I bought a used one, but it was from a 92, not 91 like mine.

Here was my story: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=39312

The only possible way was to use a '92 AT Computer, but it seems to pull to the right or something when accelerating, so I put it in FWD and it works without pulling to one side and I've been driving it like that for close to a year now.

Should I put it back to AWD and live with the pulling to one side glitch?

Should I put it back to AWD and live with the pulling to one side glitch?
wow, i'll have to vote no on that until it's determined why it's doing that. very interesting. sounds like the differentials/clutch packs aren't interacting correctly or something. i would not leave it like that, i'd rather the FWD fuse be installed like you have it now.

are you sure the gear ratios are the same? i know this was asked before but seems like they have to be different.

I have never had a Subie rep. told me that the diff. on the 91 is different from the 92. I know for a fact that the 90 and 91 trannies are interchangeable without doing anything special, but I think the 92 may be just a little different than the 90 and 91. Now, I could be wrong, so don't quote me on that. My experience is only as a result of my case and no other info to base.

Awhile back, I bought a 92 AT Computer and the tranny I just put on back in 7/05 only works the 92 AT computer without having to rely completely on the fuse to go into FWD (or stay in AWD with the little pulling to one side). The 91 AT Computer would completely lock the rear diff. or wheels at that initial time. Haven't used it since then (7/05).

So, 91 AT Computer + 92 Tranny = Rear diff. or wheels completely locked up in AWD mode, but works okay in FWD mode.

92 AT Computer + 92 Tranny = Works okay in AWD but with the little pulling to one side (only when accelerating from a stop or close to stop).

Both of them works great in FWD mode.

So, the question would be: Is it the glitch with the rear differential OR with the tranny?

i'd remove the rear section of the drive shaft between the support bearing and the diff. and put it back in awd. at least until you figure out the problem.

a year is pushing it, ive seen then burn out anywhere in the 1-2 year range. The solenoid isnt that big a deal, but unless its a oyoung tranny, its going to take the clutch pack with it.

nipper