Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New to subaru.. question re: Car alrm, keys

We just purchased a 2001 Outback yesterday. It does not have the user manual or the original keys. The keys are just regular old keys with no remote entry stuff. We had a couple of spats with the car alarm yesterday, which is always embarrassing, and had to call the local dealer to learn the turn the key three times on/off in the ignition to get it to stop. They told us that if we use the power lock to lock the door before getting out, that the only way to keep the alarm from going off would be to unlock the car with the driver’s side door first. Well, guess what, ALARM ALARM ALARM still.

So, that is the situation and here are my two questions…

1 – Is it possible to disable that alarm completely? We don’t want it, and I certainly don’t want to have this a possibility every time we go to unlock the car.

2 – If it is not possible to disable the alarm, does this sound like a problem that would be readily repaired by going to the dealer and getting a new set of official keys made?

Thanks…….

thanks. if found that one before posting on this site and it does not match my exact situation. i guess what i need to do is take it to the dealer, 60 miles away, and get a new key.....

Getting a new key won't resolve the problem. What you really need are the owner's manual and a remote transmitter (didn't one or two come with the car?). For the manual, see #6 here: http://www.subaru.com/common/faq/index.jsp

I have a '99 Outback, which seems to use the same system as your '01. The manual indicates that the only way to disarm the alarm once it's set is to use the remote transmitter. Otherwise, it will go off when a door is opened, requiring the 3-times cycling of the ignition switch.

The owner's manual also explains how to change from passive to active arming (requiring the remote) of the alarm. Since there's a diagram as well as text, getting the manual is probably a good idea.

we did not get the original keys or the manual. We are going to order a new manual. Reading over a few sites it looks like the alarm system resets after the battery is disconnected. Well, the night before we got the car, the dealership left the interior light on and it drained the battery. So, that must be why this problem did not surface until we drove it away after it was recharged. The kicker in all of this is that we can lock the doors by hand and the problem is solved, though it sucks not to be able to use the power locks. However, the only way to lock the lift gate is with the electric locks. So, if we want to car all the way locked, we have to use the electric locks, and the when we get back, unlock the door, upon which the alarm sounds, get in fast and do the three times thing real quick with the ignition.

now that sux

thinking about taking the car back to the dealer since they have a five day return policy (carmax)

'00OBW here, and got surprised the first few times when I locked car with remote and unlocked and opened door with key, alarm alarm alarm as you said. If I lock with power locks (not remote) the doors, then open door with key it's OK. But yours sounds like it alarms even if you don't use the remote to lock the doors (as you have no remote). Sounds like there might be an option to set for it.

Hey, actually, I think if you go to my.subaru.com and register with your VIN and everything, you can view the owner's manual online and maybe find an answer.

I didn't get an owner's manual with my used 00OBW either so I ordered one off eBay for like $6. There's also often used Subaru remotes for sale on there, but not sure how you program it for your vehicle.

I wouldn't take it back just for this problem, BUT you could tell them you will if they can't make the car useable for you.

I'd try and get them to find and program a remote for you, otherwise you will bring it back...also get it in writing if they promise to do so. In case your return warranty runs out.

They will have to fix the problem somehow for you or the next buyer anyway.

thinking about taking the car back to the dealer since they have a five day return policy (carmax)

Steve--regardless of how you eventually solve it, suggest you call the dealer ASAP just to get it "on the record" that there is a problem.

Good luck.

Yes it all appears to be in the manual for programming new transmitter codes, etc. Actually I think the reason I can unlock with key and not get the alarm is I accidentally set it for 'valet mode' which means the alarm system hasn't been functioning for months! Whoops...i was wondering why the indicator light started flashing twice about six months ago.

I have an OBW of the same year with the same stupid security feature. One simple fix, if you don't want to actually go to the dealer: Just lock the doors by actually pushing in the door locks. Don't use the auto locks - but if you manually lock each door, the alarm won't arm.

It's kind of a waste, and is a hassle, but it'll let you lock your car and not have the neighbors stare at you until you can get a real fix.