Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Head gasket: can I fix the problem?

I know that I have a head gasket leak. I know that I can fix the head gasket. The question is, will this fix the problem that led to all of these head gasket problems in the first place? Or, is there something wrong with my engine, not the head gasket itself, and I can expect to have this problem again sometime?

I like the car, but would hate to have to write off Subaru for this.

Thanks,

K

as long as the engine did not get seriously overheated to the point that the heads got warped, changing the head gasket should solve the leak. make sure that everything gets inspected before reassembly (check the heads for warpage, the condition of the cylinder linings, etc.). the newest version of the head gasket, 11044AA610, seems to be holding up pretty well.

i replaced mine a few months ago, and it solved all of the problems. i wrote a page with a lot of info about doing it yourself, and also a guestbook which is trying to keep a running tally of which engines are having problems and around what age/mileage...

you can view it here.

good luck...

Which year/model of Subaru?

Phase EJ25 SOHC engines (1999 - current Impreza/Forester, and 2000-current Legacy/Outback) often have an external coolant leak on the driver's side rear of the engine.

The leak is small and only occurs when the engine is cold, once the engine is warm the leak disappears. Often the leak is only traceble by the coolant residue on the engine block.

My 2001 Outback has this external leak, and in three years I have lost maybe 250ml (1 cup) of coolant. Before my warranty expires I will have the gasket changed. Coolant will evaporate out of the overflow bottle, so I don't really know how much has leaked, other than it is a very small amount.

If you have the older EJ25 DOHC engine, then you most likely have a more serious blown head gasket not an external leak.

For both engine types Subaru has released newer revisions of the head gaskets (something like revision 7 or 8 for DOHC and revision 3 for SOHC). From what I have heard the new head gaskets are more reliable if properly installed and the heads and engine block are not warped.

Subaru may have hidden warranties on head gaskets that are not generally known about. A friend of mine had his head gasket changed at 145,000km when it developed a moderate external leak. But he did report a coolant smell in cold weather that no dealer could locate during the warranty period. Inquire at your local dealer.

1999 DOHC Outback.

I had it repaired at the dealer. They say that there is no increased incidence of head gasket problems in outbacks so no warranty. I think I will press the issue. But, I wondered if a new/improved head gasket would avoid this problem in the future.

Thanks for your input.

K

Originally posted by klahmers

1999 DOHC Outback.

I had it repaired at the dealer. They say that there is no increased incidence of head gasket problems in outbacks so no warranty. I think I will press the issue. But, I wondered if a new/improved head gasket would avoid this problem in the future.

Thanks for your input.

K

They are ingorant and/or lying. If the Phase I doesn't have increased incidence of head gasket failure compared to other Subarus then I will never buy another Subaru.

I think that if the job was done correctly the new gasket should last at least as long as the original gasket.

• 2 years later...

i replaced mine a few months ago, and it solved all of the problems. i wrote a page with a lot of info about doing it yourself, and also a guestbook which is trying to keep a running tally of which engines are having problems and around what age/mileage...

you can view it here.

good luck...

I cannot access this help page. Something about it being 'locked'. ????

1999 DOHC Outback.

Thanks for your input.

K

Are you saying the dealer already fixed the car? or is this another failure after he fixed it?

nipper