Ultimate Subaru Message Board

197,000 miles- change ATF or not?

well, what's your experience? help, harm, or no difference?

the fluid is light brown. AWD works perfectly with no torque bind. it shifts very well except into 3rd. when warm that shift occurs a bit slowly but ok. however, in cold weather if i don't let it idle until warm it bumps into 3rd.

to change or not to change???

Change that stuff man... you're just asking to mess up something.

It's super easy to do, and you can do it in like.. 10 minutes (one change) you may want to do it like 3-4 times (driving a bunch between changes) to clear out all the old junk.

If it's never been changed, detergents in the new fluid may cause seals to leak and the wet clutch pack to slip -- just a thought.

That said, I just changed the AT fluid in Jeep that had 195K miles on the odm. without any knowledge of its service history.

once upon a time i was working as an apprentice at an auto repair shop and i recommended to a customer who happened to be my neighbor that the atf be changed in his 83 oldsmobile with 150,000 miles. one week later it totally died.:eek: so i gather that you're saying in subarus that's unlikely. btw- the fluid is definitely not original, it's not black nor does it smell burned. maybe it's 5 years old? i'm thinking about having the dealer do the flush and filter change. keep the suggestions coming. thanx.:)

once upon a time i was working as an apprentice at an auto repair shop and i recommended to a customer who happened to be my neighbor that the atf be changed in his 83 oldsmobile with 150,000 miles. one week later it totally died.:eek: so i gather that you're saying in subarus that's unlikely. btw- the fluid is definitely not original, it's not black nor does it smell burned. maybe it's 5 years old? i'm thinking about having the dealer do the flush and filter change. keep the suggestions coming. thanx.:)

1983 oldsmobile wasnt an electronic transmission, that plus it was a GM, lucky it lasted that long :P

There is no filter to change in this, just a screen that is good for the life of the tranny. You can cause more trouble by changing the screen then leaving it alone (like leaks). Lots of us have the fluid changed at high mileage.

nipper

1983 oldsmobile wasnt an electronic transmission, that plus it was a GM, lucky it lasted that long :P

There is no filter to change in this, just a screen that is good for the life of the tranny. You can cause more trouble by changing the screen then leaving it alone (like leaks). Lots of us have the fluid changed at high mileage.

The first time i changed mine was at like.. 170k... and i change it every 6-8 months now :rolleyes: something about the trailer.. and offroading alot... really pisses off my atf :rolleyes:

The first time i changed mine was at like.. 170k... and i change it every 6-8 months now :rolleyes: something about the trailer.. and offroading alot... really pisses off my atf :rolleyes:

Have you ever changed the filter. I am planning to get my ATF flushed and changed, and they said they would replace the filter if I brought the part in.

Have you ever changed the filter. I am planning to get my ATF flushed and changed, and they said they would replace the filter if I brought the part in.

except there is no filter (i think on a 93). that should be your first red flag. There is a screen that is good for the life of the tranny. Usually replacing this "filter" makes for pan leaks. just leave it be.

nipper

So to drain the fluid is it like oil change just no filter to change? I never acually inspected to see how u do the oil change. So is it a plug on the pan, and to refill just pour into the top off the tranny somewhere?

you do that three times to get all the old fluid out, or pay somone to flush it for about 99 bucks.

nipper

except there is no filter (i think on a 93). that should be your first red flag. There is a screen that is good for the life of the tranny. Usually replacing this "filter" makes for pan leaks. just leave it be.

nipper

Ok I will just return that part then......Thank You. It was only $20, but $20 is $20. It sounds like it may cost more if I replace it.

Change it now and change it again while it still looks new, before it deteriorates.

You can flush it yourself, this article tells how to do it. Here is a link to an article about changing the fluid in a ford truck but it is the same technique.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/9/057/article/Changing_ATF_Fluid_in_a_E4OD_and_4R100_transmission.html