Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Outbacktification Process STATUS: In progress, now with pics

Hey guys,

ok i have started my outback conversion of my 95 legacy wagon LS

just this past weekend i got a complete set of struts installed, and... heheheh it looks good, it rides better, its a firmer ride and now i can see over some cars.

PICS PICS PICS

here is a list of the process

Struts and Springs - COMPLETED

OB bumpers

Grille

Tires

Cold Weather package

Gate bar

thanks

no problems with the tires on the wheels they fit perfectly, i've had those with the original suspension, the brake hoses were fine too, enough for suspension travel but i was worried too when i changed it last weekend, as far as the alignment goes i havent noticed that it is off, but i am gonna get an alignment done anyways just to make sure everything is ok :brow:

Good job! I have a few questions:

1. How much lift did you get after this swap?

2. Did you use exact same year Outback struts/springs or any year of 2nd gen body style will work?

3. Did you have to remove front/rear stabilizer bar(s)?

4. When doing alignment, which specs mechanics will have to use - Legacy's or Outback's (assuming they are different)?

Alex K

Good job! I have a few questions:

1. How much lift did you get after this swap?

2. Did you use exact same year Outback struts/springs or any year of 2nd gen body style will work?

3. Did you have to remove front/rear stabilizer bar(s)?

4. When doing alignment, which specs mechanics will have to use - Legacy's or Outback's (assuming they are different)?

Alex K

I gained about 3" lift

i used a 96 outback struts nd springs and i believe up to 99 is all the same

no stabilizer bars were touched

and i have checked with 3 mechanics and they all said that they have to use the outback specs for the alignment

Im very interested in this since I also have a 95 Legacy LS wagon

What exactly is this cold weather package?

Very easy swap, it took me 3 hours total, as far as the cold weather packge, it includes heated mirrors, heated seats, heated windshield (were the wipers are).

Hey guys,

ok i have started my outback conversion of my 95 legacy wagon LS

just this past weekend i got a complete set of struts installed, and... heheheh it looks good, it rides better, its a firmer ride and now i can see over some cars.

PICS PICS PICS

http://flickr.com/photos/njdrsubaru/sets/72057594094366502/

here is a list of the process

Struts and Springs - COMPLETED

OB bumpers

Grille

Tires

Cold Weather package

Gate bar

you forgot:

Engine

Exhaust

yeah, i like my 22 too. but its sure as hell not for the mpg. 24hwy 20cty. i like the solidness of it.

Our 2.5L 2000 Legaback (Outacy?) gets 24-26 around town and 28-29 on the highway at 70. It should do better (and gain a little more lift) when the tires need to be replaced and I go with the tallest I can fit. We're running on the fourth summer with the small tires that came with the Impreza alloys I fitted in '02.

Our 2.5L 2000 Legaback (Outacy?) gets 24-26 around town and 28-29 on the highway at 70. It should do better (and gain a little more lift) when the tires need to be replaced and I go with the tallest I can fit. We're running on the fourth summer with the small tires that came with the Impreza alloys I fitted in '02.

from what i can tell (and have tried) a 215/75r15 cheap tire (trail mark) will fit with acceptible rubbing, and 205/75r15 will fit with acceptible rubbing with a name brand tire (goodyear/BFG)

from what i can tell (and have tried) a 215/75r15 cheap tire (trail mark) will fit with acceptible rubbing, and 205/75r15 will fit with acceptible rubbing with a name brand tire (goodyear/BFG)

I'll see, I plan on Coopers. The tech that did the strut/spring swap moved to the local indie Cooper dealer when Big Mountain Tire closed. I like Coopers anyhow. But the way the existing tires are wearing, that won't be 'til 2010 or so! :-p