Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well my 90k mile Legacy engine is gone

That's right, and that sucks!!!! The bolt that holds my crank pulley on broke inside of the crank and it can't be pulled out unless the engine is pulled in which case it will be the same price for a new engine. THIS SUCKS!!!! I used my 1995 Legacy Ls sedan as a daily driver and didn't drive it fast or push it hard that much, I have a Lexus that I race, I know the difference of a race car and daily driver. My Lexus is down right now so I've been without a car for 2 weeks, It sucks. I thought these engines lasted forever if taken care of. I've been the owner of this car since 04 when it had 64k miles and taken care of it ever since. I'm just really mad right now and wanted to vent, sorry guys. I posted a ad in the wanted section if anyone has ANY engine that will FIT, does not have to be stock ej22.

Richard

That's right, and that sucks!!!! The bolt that holds my crank pulley on broke inside of the crank and it can't be pulled out unless the engine is pulled in which case it will be the same price for a new engine. THIS SUCKS!!!! I used my 1995 Legacy Ls sedan as a daily driver and didn't drive it fast or push it hard that much, I have a Lexus that I race, I know the difference of a race car and daily driver. My Lexus is down right now so I've been without a car for 2 weeks, It sucks. I thought these engines lasted forever if taken care of. I've been the owner of this car since 04 when it had 64k miles and taken care of it ever since. I'm just really mad right now and wanted to vent, sorry guys. I posted a ad in the wanted section if anyone has ANY engine that will FIT, does not have to be stock ej22.

Richard

why not pull it yourself? Should only take like 2 hours max to pull it. Then get like an easy out type deal, just be careful not to break it in the last it of crank or else you WILL be needing a new engine.

Richard

Sorry to hear about your trouble Richard, but all is not lost, first question is what happened to cause the bolt to break ? I belive from past timingbelt replacements, if you remove the cooling fans and rad there is a fair amount of room to get at the crankshaft end. I'd go ahead and pull the dampener and remove the belt covers, the bolt may be out some from the crankshaft end and you might get a stud romover to grab onto it and remove it, if not maybe as a last resort a pair of vise grips or even a pipe wench. If it has broken off flush or even down in the crank, I believe it's Lisle Tool or KD Tool makes a remover that is called a Super Out they are like easy-outs but have more gripping splines and are not as brittle as easy-outs. Also I would apply some heat to the bolt to break the Loctite loose before removal, the change the crank seal out. Hope this helps out some, even if it doesn't work out your not out anything but your time and I think it will come out, just be sure if you go with the easy-out type method center punch the bolt as close to center as possible then drill. Keep us posted..

If you need the car for a daily driver, and are planning on replacing the engine anyway, why not just weld the pulley onto the crank? (assuming water pump and T belt are OK.) I bet you could do that with the engine in place...could last for years that way.

Well, that's just my .02 of butchery advice.

Nathan

Richard