Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My car stalled for the first time ever yesterday.

Guest remarcable

I was backing out of my steeply inclined driveway when the RPMs started fluttering and the engine just shut down.

I still had electronics but no juice. I could only get it to start again after I turned off the headlights and other accessories.

I was pretty low on gas at the time, but not on empty. My air filter is also in need of replacement.

I filled up the tank and checked all the fluids, and the car hasn't stalled again. Anyone have any ideas on what would cause this? Bad gas?

Guest tcspeer

Maybe if you was low on gas and on the incline, maybe the gas was at back of tank and fuel pump could not pick it up. You didn't say how many miles you had on it but most of my car's are high mileage and they stop running ever now and then, but start back up and run fine.

Guest Cougar4

You may want to check your charging system also. Make sure the alternators output connection is clean and tight along with the battery connections. It sounds like your battery has a low charge.

Glen

Guest remarcable

Sorry, it's a 99 outback with 52k miles on the odometer.

I'm on the 2nd fuel filter having changed the first one at 30k miles. I'm also still using the battery that came with the car. Perhaps after 4 years the stock battery is finally calling it quits?

Guest Setright

That's funny, the other day I nearly stalled:

Very tight left hand bend, second gear, and suddenly massive engine braking and then life again...

Yup, I knew I was low on fuel, but didn't know it was THAT low. Turns out there was less than four litres in the tank....:lol:

Your stall sounds like fuel line pressure drop to me !

Guest Cougar4

The battery is getting old but it still may have some more life to it. I would have a load test done on it to check its condition. You need to check the other connections first.

Glen