Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Why aren't my flashing lights flashing? (1998 Impreza)

So last night, I parked in front of the fire hydrant by my building for a quick run inside, and I left my hazard lights on. Also turned the parking lights on as well. So I get back and realize only the rear lights are flashing. Wierd, I think, guess I never noticed that they only work on the back. About fifteen minutes into my drive, however, I realized that not only are my turn signals not working but now my hazards won't, either. My ts switch was replaced by me about two months ago, and the rest of it works just fine (lights come on, hi beams ok, instr. panel brightness fine). So what's up?

A summary:

no lights that are supposed to flash (ie turn signal and hazard lights) will work at all. They don't light up and stay on, or blink irregularly. Just nothing.

They had been working up to 15 minutes prior to my discovery. The hazards and parking lights had been left on for ten minutes.

The turn signal switch works fine otherwise: headlights and hi beams operate perfectly and the dashboard brightness control works correctly.

I live in the Bronx, where everyone's rude to you unless you made an appointment to be there three weeks ago. I gotta drive this car and the wife gets sketched out by this kind of thing. Any ideas?

Thanks a bundle in advance,

Matt

matteedee315

Check for any bad bulbs. The turn signals and the flasher use the same flasher. You may have a tired 4 way switch, or a bulb that is dimmer then the others, so when all 4 are on its causing a current imbalance and screwing things up (hows that for an explination)

nipper

WARNING After you've sorted out the problem, take heed. I know da Bronx is da Bronx, but apparently you can not only get a ticket for parking in front of a fire hydrant but apparently you can also be ticketed for improper use of flashers?. At least that's what the ticketing officer was kind enough to explain to me as he wrote only the one summons for me to which I replied, using my best "Queens" English, er... thank you kindly officer.

I've learned with NYC tickets, just because they write it on the ticket does not mean the regulation really exists. They require research. The PVB will not tell you something doesnt exist even if you pay it, as they are there to take your money.

nipper