Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 1994 Impreza with an automatic transmission and I'm having a problem with the transmission slipping. Prior to the problem I had a fluid leak and every time it got low it would slip so I would fill it up and it would work fine. Well I was headed up to the mountains and it started to slip again so I pulled over and filled up the transmission again, but this time it just kept slipping. So is it a problem with the transmission itself or the torque converter?

Well slipping is never good for an AT as it burns/wears out that valuable clutch material. Does the fluid that's in there smell burned or lock discolored? How did you check the fluid level? If you're a bit low or whatever, it might become more slippy at steep grades as the fluid sloshes more to the front or back of the AT. Where was it leaking from? What kind of ATF are you putting in there?

Odds are you fried the tranny. If the fluid got low enough so that the clutches could not fully engage, it also got low enough that it could not cool or lubricate the surfaces of the clutchs. These are wet clutches and quickly wipe out if they go low on fluid.

nipper

Odds are you fried the tranny. If the fluid got low enough so that the clutches could not fully engage, it also got low enough that it could not cool or lubricate the surfaces of the clutchs. These are wet clutches and quickly wipe out if they go low on fluid.

nipper

Always giving the bad new eh?

Dose anyone know where I could find a cheap transmission for my rig?:confused:
You can't use the word "Cheap" and Transmission in the same sentence. I just had my tranny overhauled and spent more that the car is worth (on the market) I really like my Legacy wagon so I don't mind spendintg the $$. You can spend the money and have all new parts, or you can go to a salvage yard and maybe get a good used tranny or maybe get the same thing you have now.