Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi, all.:) I've been searching the posts but need a little more help. I have a '92 Legacy 2.2L that has recently decided not to start whenever it wants. Lights come on but engine won't crank and lights dim with the effort. Recently had new starter installed and I don't hear any clicking. 5 minutes later, starts right up, no problem.:slobber: Any ideas would be very helpful. Thanks, as always.

Is that starter actually brand new or is it a rebuilt? I have had bad experiences with rebuilt parts. If you put a voltmeter on battery and measure when starter is supposed to be cranking, what voltage do you read? Often in 'start' most vehicles cut out all accessories, etc., to provide max juice to starter.

Sounds like it is as not many things will give you a no crank condition. Check your battery cables and define "new" starter. Clean the terminals at both ends, and battery cables do get old. Is this a no start whenever or just when hot.

nipper

I had a similar sounding problem in my 95 OBW. Intermittant no start, no clicking of the solenoid (although I would hear the starter relay in the dash clicking. After a new battery, reman starter and new battery cables I still had the problem. The alternator checked out OK when I had it tested.

I ended up installing a "hard start relay" and it solved my problem. Basically it's a relay that the ignition switch triggers that supplies current to the starter solenoid.The idea is that perhaps the ignition switch is worn and is having problems passing the relatively large amount of current needed to trigger the solenoid but has no trouble passing the small amount to trigger the relay I added.

Whether I've actually fixed the problem or just masked it, I'm not sure. I do know that it fires up every time now. I would check all the usual suspects that others have mentioned first. I did find a thread someplace on the board with a schematic for the relay but now I'm having trouble tracking it down.

cheers,

matt

Today is day two of intermittant no start. I cleaned both battery connections and snipped the old, rusty-looking ground cable ends to expose fresh metal, then reconnected. Also cleaned plug-in connection on starter (not sure what it is). It has started about 8-10 times since the no start earlier today. It doesn't seem to matter if it's hot or cold but I'll look for a pattern. This car has 199K on it and runs like a top. I bought it about 3 months ago so I don't know if the starter is new or rebuilt. I'll just have to wait and see if the problem arises again. Thanks for the help, ya'll.:headbang:

Hi, all.:) I've been searching the posts but need a little more help. I have a '92 Legacy 2.2L that has recently decided not to start whenever it wants. Lights come on but engine won't crank and lights dim with the effort. Recently had new starter installed and I don't hear any clicking. 5 minutes later, starts right up, no problem.:slobber: Any ideas would be very helpful. Thanks, as always.

When the no start condition happens you need to check and see if the starter is receiving power to close the starter relay that is part of the starter. On the starter you should have a large battery wire and also a smaller wire that closes the the starter relay, when it will not start check the smaller wire with a 12 volt test light and see if it is receiving power, it will require one person to turn the ign swith to the start position. Also there should be 12 volt on the larger wire at all times. If there is power on the smaller wire when turned to the start position the trouble is more then likely in the starter, such as a bad spot on the armature or a bad starter relay, most auto parts store can test the starter when off the car. Good Luck ..

<<Hi, all.:) I've been searching the posts but need a little more help. I have a '92 Legacy 2.2L that has recently decided not to start whenever it wants. Lights come on but engine won't crank and lights dim with the effort. Recently had new starter installed and I don't hear any clicking. 5 minutes later, starts right up, no problem.:slobber: Any ideas would be very helpful. Thanks, as always.>>

does this happen only when you have driven the car for any amount of time?

• 2 weeks later...