Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I posted a couple weeks ago referring to an oil leak coming from my timing cover on the 97 OBW. So I am getting quotes for a good once over on the engine, since it will most likely be pulled, might as well get everything done at once (131,000 miles).

Here goes:

Timing belt, idlers, pulleys

Water pump

Oil pump

all new gaskets and seals on the front of the engine (cams and main as well)

Since the engine is pulled, head gaskets and a new clutch should be cake, right?

Two dealers:

One dealer sounds all confused after trying to find out a quote for everything, they told me about $2,500 (seems reasonable)... but they also asked if it was a 2.5L or 3.0L (was a 6 even available in 97 OBW) - so they sound a little amatuer

The other quote $6770!?!?!?!? The car isn't even worth that, how do they get off even thinking that.... I could get an entire rebuilt engine with a new clutch for that price

I still want to go to a place that is not a dealer and get a quote, the guy specializes in Japan makes - not necessarily in Subaru though.

What would be the going rate for this much work???

Any techs reading looking for some side work???

Except for the clutch and headgaskets, everything you mention should be able to be done without pulling the engine. Before you pull the engince check for HC's in the coolant and if there are none, why do you think you need a headgasket? If your car is a 2.2L engine, your head gasket should be okay but it wouldn't cost much to check first. 130K is not too early to need a clutch but do you really need it? Other items you mention should fall into the $600 to $1000 range. If you need a clutch and headgaskets, you could be in around $2500. I'd keep evaluating my options at this point; expecially avoid that $6700 deal!

Except for the clutch and headgaskets, everything you mention should be able to be done without pulling the engine. Before you pull the engince check for HC's in the coolant and if there are none, why do you think you need a headgasket? If your car is a 2.2L engine, your head gasket should be okay but it wouldn't cost much to check first. 130K is not too early to need a clutch but do you really need it? Other items you mention should fall into the $600 to $1000 range. If you need a clutch and headgaskets, you could be in around $2500. I'd keep evaluating my options at this point; expecially avoid that $6700 deal!

It's a 2.5L, clutch is starting to slip in upper gears. I will probably not do the head gaskets, just because they aren't bad - I just don't want to have to make another trip in a couple months with a catastophic failure. I know these HG are sketchy, will they all fail eventually? Or might have have a decent set?