Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2005 Legacy outback won't start

I am putting togeather an 05 outback that was damaged in a wreck. when I got it the complete dash had been removed and some things unpluged instruments, plug ins in right kick panel, keyless entry module, and all four plugs that go into the fuse box on the driver side on the front above the fuses. But the car would still start and drive. After I put the dash back in and pluged the wires all back in it would not start unless you spray starter fluid in the intake then it only runs a few seconds. I don't know why the plugs to the fuse box were unplugged because they didn't need to be to remove the dash and maybe I should not have plugged them in. If anyone has a standard 05 outback wagon without engine imobilizer would you look and see if two large and two small plug in are pluged into your fuse block . you have to open the fuse door and look up behind the dash with a light. OR if you can think of what the problem may be let me know.

Thanks FJM

To help indentify the problem area you could try unplgging things that were not connected before and allowed the engine to run. Then connect the plugs one at a time to see how if effects the engine. I assume you have checked all the fuses for any problem there and especially power to the fuel pump.

Does this model have a fuel pump shut off switch in case of an accident?

To help indentify the problem area you could try unplgging things that were not connected before and allowed the engine to run. Then connect the plugs one at a time to see how if effects the engine. I assume you have checked all the fuses for any problem there and especially power to the fuel pump.

Does this model have a fuel pump shut off switch in case of an accident?

I did try unplugging things I had re connected but forgot about the plug ins at the fuse box and I havent found an 05 to look at thats why the request to see if all 4 wires should be pluged in. The car is about 80 miles from where I am and I am trying to get some more to go on before I go to work on it again.

I don,t think it has a fuel shut off it it does it didnt work in the crash.

If you didn't check the fuses and the fusible links to make sure they were ok I would do that. It would also be good to have a test light probe on hand to make sure power is getting to where it should be. I suspect that something has blown a fuse for power to the fuel pump.

If you didn't check the fuses and the fusible links to make sure they were ok I would do that. It would also be good to have a test light probe on hand to make sure power is getting to where it should be. I suspect that something has blown a fuse for power to the fuel pump.

I finally broke down and took it to the Subaru dealer. They checked it out and replaced the fuel pump relay and it now runs. I never would have found it the relay is located up behind the glove box. They said they tapped on it and it would start so they went ahead and replaced it.