Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2006 Forester auto trans fluid

I noticed on my 2006 forester with a little over 6000 miles the auto trans fluid was overfilled. So I drew out about 1/2 qt of fluid out of the dipstick tube.The fluid was dark brown almost black in color and smelled burnt.The owners manual calls for subaru type -hp or pennzoil atf J is this a characteristic of this type of fluid or is the trans on it's way out .BTW the trans shifts up and down smoothly

yes something is very wrong. Make sure they make note of the condition of the fluid on the paperwork incase this comes back to haunt you. Also check the tires make sure they match, and are all the same brand. the reason same brand, i wonder if somone before you drove on a flat tire.

nipper

yes something is very wrong. Make sure they make note of the condition of the fluid on the paperwork incase this comes back to haunt you. Also check the tires make sure they match, and are all the same brand. the reason same brand, i wonder if somone before you drove on a flat tire.

nipper

Ditto. That tranny fluid needs to be changed now.

I wonder how it ended up overfilled. If it's only got 6000 miles on it, the dealer must have done it upon delivery.:confused: Not good. I would be very wary of this dealership.

I noticed on my 2006 forester with a little over 6000 miles the auto trans fluid was overfilled. So I drew out about 1/2 qt of fluid out of the dipstick tube.The fluid was dark brown almost black in color and smelled burnt.The owners manual calls for subaru type -hp or pennzoil atf J is this a characteristic of this type of fluid or is the trans on it's way out .BTW the trans shifts up and down smoothly

Hello:

I have priced this transmission for my '99 Forester- A replacement costs about 4000K.

John

I noticed on my 2006 forester with a little over 6000 miles the auto trans fluid was overfilled. So I drew out about 1/2 qt of fluid out of the dipstick tube.The fluid was dark brown almost black in color and smelled burnt.The owners manual calls for subaru type -hp or pennzoil atf J [...]

Uh-oh, I wonder if someone put some incorrect ATF in the trans. See this over on the LegacyGT board: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=256448

It shouldnt, but since you have a odd problem there is always a first time.

Transmission is pressurized except for the pan. The front diff is not. A seal can go nad (extreemly rare) and allow for it to happen but you would have tranny fluid in the diff too.

nipper