Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Impreza RS engine swap

slug502

wrx front clip and your good to go.. standard wrx, sti or RA.. all can be had from $2000 to $8000 u.s.d. depending on year, make and miles.

you will need atleast the motor, ecu, wiring harness and some of the accesories if you dont want a complete clip

good luck

this swap isn't the easiest to do... not for the faint of heart or the person who wants to be driving it anytime soon...

the front clip is the front half of the car... normally from the dash farwards so you get all the important wires... i've seen some with the trans or without... although you can use your stock trans so it isn't overly important...

the upside to this conversion is it all bolts right in... my buddy did this conversion on his 93 impreza for his rally car... it all bolts right in... but! it's all wiring...

if you have service manuals(try to get factory service manuals) for your car and the car you're getting the clip from it would make it a bunch easier...

good luck!:)

also try looking around on http://www.nasioc.com

Uhh you lost me on the wrx front clip.. whats a front clip
Maybe you should do your homework before you even think about a conversion, or find a place that does these type of conversions and pay them to do it. Why not enjoy your Impreza as it is for awhile so that you can gain the knowledge. Use 'Google' or some other search engine to get information. This is not something a novice should take on, it is a complex conversion, not a simple bolt up. Do your homework, come back and ask intelligent questions, then I will answer you, I have done several of these type of conversion, and will be able to tell you the pit falls, but I don't want to have to explain in minute details, every step. Not knowing what a front clip is tells me that you are no ready to learn.

well first why do you want to do a motor swap ? you said you wanted more psi of boost but more boost doesn't mean more power (all the time) swaps are hard and expensive, but they can be worth it. Like Dr.RX said they can be really really complicated there is no manual on how to swap motors. A lot of it is just having the motor in and then figuring out how the heck your going to all your new custom sized lines to fit. By the fact that you don't know what a front clip is you probably have never done a motor swap before. A front clip is basically just the front half of the car they take a sawzall or whatever to the car just after the A pillar so it clears the dash and steering wheel. So unless you have some friends you can really count on to help you and by help I mean them do most of the work and you hand them tools and go get drinks then I would look into finding a shop who can do the swap for you.

Yes I do know what a front clip is i just was thinking... but anyways I have help my other friends to engine swaps and there really good working on cars so yes they are going to help me and yes I am doing my homework thats why i started this thread. Im looking for a good engine that I can build up to be a BEAST im going to buy and engine and built it up then when its finished I swap the engines along with other parts that need to be replaced / upgraded do to the power increase.

Yes I do know what a front clip is i just was thinking... but anyways I have help my other friends to engine swaps and there really good working on cars so yes they are going to help me and yes I am doing my homework thats why i started this thread. Im looking for a good engine that I can build up to be a BEAST im going to buy and engine and built it up then when its finished I swap the engines along with other parts that need to be replaced / upgraded do to the power increase.
Good luck, Subaru swaps are much different the other swaps, I know, I have done many swaps of many different makes and engines, but none of them were like any of the Subaru swaps that I did.