Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 heads bolted to an EJ18 block?

Just interested really... In Australia we have laws and rules about changing engines and things. It is pretty easy to put a non turbo engine of the same size only newer in a car with a non turbo engine (just say an EJ18 in an EA82.) You can put in the EJ22 but you need upgraded brakes and some other stuff.

So, I had a thought. Can you bolt the EJ22 heads to a EJ18 block? That way you get 16 valves and ?better head flow?. But still you have a engine with a 1.8L engine number on it. See what I'm getting at? I don't plan on doing this, maybe sometime in the future, or to someone elses car.

So, will they match up?

Cheers,

It could probably be done. The ej18 and the ej22 are pretty much the same. The 22 just has a bigger bore. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the ej18 already has 16 valves. I know that some people do it the other way around and actually put the ej18 heads on the 22, to raise compression.

I just figured the EJ18 wouldn't have 16 valves as a friends 94RX with a EJ20 in it only had 8 valves... Can anyone here say for sure?

Yeah, I've heard planty about putting the smaller version heads on for more compression, just about every engine that comes in different sizes (but still the same design) can do that.

• 15 years later...