Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Rex - Parts Wanted

Hi all. I have a second generation Subaru Rex.

I know that for many of you its name is not familiar, the rex is smaller than the justy, in the seventies it first gen was rear engined, 600 or 700 cc two cylinder car, but mine is the 1981 model second gen. it got front engine also two cylinder and front wheel drive (it was an all wheel drive version, called subau sherpa in some areas) and it looks exactly -almost- as a tinier justy.

the question of this, is: where i can buy parts for it on internet? becuase at my nation, the dealer has not many of them left, and wont bring them here unles first pay the half, and result are extremly expensive.

i need the head and valves, waterpump, and gasket. my dad (he is master mechanic) is the one that will fix it for me, and also he said... something about piston rings, and maybe oil pump, (now he is with me) and the brake pump, along with the kit for the wheel brakes too... maybe that is all, bt maybe it will come out something else, dad is saying something about rusty bearings, ohh!... i hope fix the rex wont be so expensive, it has about a decade in a corner of our mechanic shop, just dying... i wanna see it running and shiny for me, to go to university, maybe soon

so, any help to find a website that carrry subau rex parts, would be appreciated. thank you.

Edited by Carmen

is no the same justy, becuase justy is bigger and has 3 cylinder, the Rex is smaller and only has 2 cylinder

my rex is in pieces, because it was originally from a dad´s client at his mechanic repair shop.. the past owner could not find some parts to repair the engine, and then time passed by. dad did buy it for me, becuase i like that tiny beautiful car, and in the family is another subaru, and i wanted that small one for me when i go to the university, but it still may take some time to happen.

any info i will post here. thanks..

Edited by Carmen

Actually, that is essentially our Justy...

subaru_justy_ecvt_1987.JPG

Your headlights are different, but the platform looks the same.

What are the 4th and 5th digits of your VIN number?

Still though, our Justy only had a 1.2 inline-three. Yours is a 600cc engine, which we never got at all.

thank you for your replies,  :) i know the sherpa, here came as a 4x4 version of the rex.. 

instead of searching in internet, dad is searching for a nice donor car to swap some parts.. he also thinks that he could (maybe) swap engine an trasmission with another brand, i am pretty scared about that.....  :confused: 

i will write back here with the results of the "REX QUEST" 

Edited by Carmen

thank you for your replies, :) i know the sherpa, here came as a 4x4 version of the rex..

instead of searching in internet, dad is searching for a nice donor car to swap some parts.. he also thinks that he could (maybe) swap engine an trasmission with another brand, i am pretty scared about that..... :confused:

carmen :-p

That is a cool car!!! I am a fan of small cars. I have been looking for a Subaru Justy, but all the ones I see are not for sale.

Nice car!!!

I am glad it is in the hands of a Subaru enthusiast!:)

thank you for your replies, :) i know the sherpa, here came as a 4x4 version of the rex..

instead of searching in internet, dad is searching for a nice donor car to swap some parts.. he also thinks that he could (maybe) swap engine an trasmission with another brand, i am pretty scared about that..... :confused:

carmen :-p

Carmen, like Subyluuver2212 said, with the vin number we can find out exactly whast model it is and where it was manufactured. That cross reference will allow you to find out which parts from the Justy or any other Subaru worldwide will match youir Rex!

If you have that info, it will help a lot in the quest for parts.

:)

Well... sort of ;)

I wanted the 4th and 5th digits of her VIN because that's her chassis code. It's probably different from the Justy, which is KA.

Regardless, if she gave me her entire VIN, I won't be able to do anything with it because my catalogue only has USDM Subaru VINs in its database.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

dad is asking to the previus owner the documents, bill of sale, etcetera

my dad will made a long distance travel in a truck to panama, and he say that he will search for my rex parts there, or in the other countries between

Edited by Carmen

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
my dad started to repair the little rex, it is very bad for now but i believe soon will recover the cute look ;) dad find some parts from other subarus and some non subarus that can work in the rex -i hope so-

searching i find this site with tecnical information about the rex: http://www.cars-directory.net/specs/subaru/rex/1981_0/29751/

Glad to see he's finding parts for it. I just saw this thread for the first time and thought about the first Honda cars, the N600. They had a 600cc motor too and I wondered if they could have been the same. It might be worth looking under the hood if you ever run across one of them. Here's a link to the car...

http://www.honda600source.com/

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...