Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Outback Sport/Impreza - For those who have tried...

OK. Heres the scoop.

I miss my Subie wagon something fierce.

I have a lovely 2005 Toyota Tacoma.

It has helped me arrive in places I never needed to go.

I do miss the turning and "go-cart" feel of my Subies. (So right now I"m back to driving the Brat)

I'm going to be upside down on the truck if I try to sell it or trade it in.

The Toyota was fun for awhile until I realized how much I used a wagon. (I could put a canopy on the truck and spend 2500$ and lose visability that I need badly since I drive in tight spots in the dark). I also get car sick a heck of a lot faster in the truck. I don't know if its the suspension or the dark or the confined space???

The ground clearance is nice and so is the actual engaging 4WD.

I could finance (through a newer car stealership) the residual in the truck into a newer Subie. :-\

I went looking at an Impreza Outback 07... Excuse me.. 07 Outback Sport.

I'm not excited about engaging in another 2.5 but I don't see much option at this point. I guess I could head for a 2.0 but.. wait.. lets laugh a min.

Not going to spend that much money right now.

I've decided on an outback sport since it does give me a little more clearance but still a youthful good gas mileage car. (The Tacoma isn't bad for this.. I get 22-23 mpg)

:confused: (What realistically are you getting out of your OBS?)

I want a Legacy Outback but I don't really want to spend the extra money for the space and a vision of Baby car seats, dog gards and handicap permits.

Sooo....

In my visions of this OBS, I'm looking at maybe a couple inches more to the clearance and maybe... just maybe...a D/R conversion in the far future. I want a car that I can keep and be happy with for the long term.

:confused: (Are you still ok with your OBS or Imp after years???)

I'm assuming, after reading the Auto/Man discussion that perhaps a stick would be better for the things I have in mind for this car. But then on the other hand, if the Auto AWD works better, then I can agree to be lazy too. I don't want to pay alot for something I could care less about.

:confused: (But then again, Which is more maintenance?)

:confused: Another question: If I"m looking towards lifting it, is there anything in the newer models that would make this impossible or very frustrating and difficult??

I'm not keen on being a guinea pig to answer the above question so I'm hoping that someone thats had the experience of lifting old/new can fill in some ideas...

(Oh lordy.. I hope the difference in what the tacoma is worth, what I owe and what they are willing to give me isn't too bad!!!)

(Maybe I'll try craigslist and auction all the Tacoma and parts for the tacoma off separately.)

Why a 2007 and not a 2006? Rebates and finance offers are way better on 2006 models. (example I believe the 2.5i outback (legacy model) is 0% APR and $2000 cash back)

If I were in the market for a new car now, (read: "If I had money.:rolleyes: ) I would go for the 2006. Subaru is offering some really great incentives for the end of the model year.

I personally think the slushboxes are better, in terms of reliability. (You should know that I have no personal experience with new models, and limited personal experience with AWD. My driver is an old FWD Auto Impreza.) Maybe they do fail more often, but when they do, they are easier and cheaper to fix than the manuals. And I believer that the design flaw that makes torque bind more likely was fixed in 1997. Plus no clutch changes...only tranny fluid, which is easy and a heck of a lot cheaper. From what I've read, the AWD seems to be better, too. It really comes down to personal preference, though. If you like driving stick, get a stick. My auto can be kinda sluggish sometimes, and I sometimes wish I had a 5spd. But I'm getting older and lazier, and the auto really is conveniant.

You'll get more money out of your Tacome if you can sell it privately. Stealership trade-in value is always less than the actual value of the vehicle.

If you want an OBS, but want to lift it... get a Forester.

Suspension wise, the OBS is just the regular Impreza with slightly taller springs... the difference between regular Legacy and Outback might be worth it (worthwhile increase in clearance) but on the Imprezas the "Outback" is just a trim package IMO.

I think there was a mileage question somewhere in there, we get high 20's to 30 consistently on the highway in our Impreza wagon. In town consistently 20-22 mpg.

Steve