Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey guys, I bought a pretty nice 95 Legacy AWD / ABS 4 wheel disc brakes, Auto tranny, wagon with 84,xxx miles last night.

1). The lights for the clock / radio display and the heater & A / C are not coming on. Dash lights are fine.

2). Check engine light is on, " PO400 EGR Flow Malfunction".

I'm gonna clean the EGR valve , I have already cleaned the PCV valve, rubber hose and ports.

I've ran a strong doseage of Seafloam thru a tank of fuel.

3). I think I need a fuel gauge sending unit.

When tank is full, gauge is a little shy of F. And gauge shows emty at 215 miles of highway driving. But in reality, I was getting 26.6 mpg, and a fill up needed only 7 or 8 gallons.

4).At speeds above 65mph, strong vibration in frontend that varies in intensity during highway trip.

5). On highway, lots of noise inside car from rear cargo area.

I know it could be bad tire, but sounds like wheel bearings too.

The car has fairly new Goodyear Aquatread Directional tires on it really close in diameter, I have not measured them however. Tire pressures ar 32psi all thee way around.

6). Original owner has no idea if the factory timing belt has been replaced.

I love this car and apreciate any help.

I have owned 2 XT6's a Justy , and 2 80's model FWD wagons.:confused:

Tony P

Unionville, NC

I have a 96 manual sedan, and have experienced or am experiencing many of the same issues.

First of all, replacing the climate control bulbs is not a diificult task. You can get factory parts or re-bulb your own. Do a search for climate control bulbs.

The fuel gauge becomes unreliable after ten years. These cars actually have two sending units, one for each side of the tank. you can access the fuel tank through two roundish access panels under the rear seat or in the wagon area. then the fuel senders can be removed and cleaned, or replaced. do a search for fuel sender.

It is not that hard to replace the timing belt. I was a total newbie in this area, but after I read the posts on this forum, I was able to tackle it successfully. Do a search for timing belt replacement.

The reason I ask you to do these searches is because all of these concerns have already been documented over and over again, so there is a lot of good information to be found..

Matt D

Do a search here for the bulbs. This is a standard problem. if you can replace miniture christmass lights you can do this.

Fuel sender has sulfur on it. Go to the autoparts store and Chevron has a additive that cleans the senders. I did it on mine and my gauge is 90 90% accurate instead of completly offf.

inspect all wheel bearing, and the front cv joints.

nipper

2). Check engine light is on, " PO400 EGR Flow Malfunction".

I'm gonna clean the EGR valve , I have already cleaned the PCV valve, rubber hose and ports.

I've ran a strong doseage of Seafloam thru a tank of fuel.

Run Seafoam through the engine top, its almost a waste of money in the tank. Not 100% sure, but I think it might clean EGR valve when done through intake.

3). I think I need a fuel gauge sending unit.

When tank is full, gauge is a little shy of F. And gauge shows emty at 215 miles of highway driving. But in reality, I was getting 26.6 mpg, and a fill up needed only 7 or 8 gallons.

Run some Chevron Techron, but make sure the one you use is not only injector cleaner, but also cleans sender unit.

4).At speeds above 65mph, strong vibration in frontend that varies in intensity during highway trip.

Might be just a tire out of balance. On FWD I'd just swap front and rear tires, on AWD auto should help as well, but might be not a good option if your rear tires are bad.

5). On highway, lots of noise inside car from rear cargo area.

I know it could be bad tire, but sounds like wheel bearings too.

Get a cargo cover (or use it you already have one) - helps a lot. Or some extra junk spread evenly over cargo :)