Ultimate Subaru Message Board

putting non interference 2.2 in 1999 legacy

courtney

I blew a head gasket on my 98. I put a 2.2 from a 97. As long as you have both engines ( including the exaust manifold, fly-wheel, power steering lines and AC hoses) for the swap you can make it plug and play. I was able to interchange everything.
But, 97 is interference.:(

ok can this be done at ccr and then sent to me? and do i need a new computer or not?

subrat is going to do the engine swap for me here in tucson

do you know off the top of your head about how much this engine is going to cost me? and i am also interested in knowing if there are any upgrades i can have done to the new motor at ccr, i put 50000-60000 a year on my car and i want this thing to last, so if better tougher parts are available for it i might do that

thanks for your time

if your motor is toast then CCR should be able to use your heads on a new rebuilt block. or just ask them if they can build that set up for you. i like the idea of getting a new block and reusing everything else you have on it. that should make it as easy as possible in terms of exhaust, intake and EGR compatability issues (if any).

i think CCR rebuilds to stock spec's, i doubt they'll upgrade parts. and with good reason, for normal driving a stock 2.2 is superb in reliability. they routinely make 200,000+ miles with ease.

is this legacy originally a 2.2 or 2.5? they had both in 99 depending on model right?

this car is originally a 2.2 and that is what i have in it now but it is ticking badly

talked to ccr and they said they can custom build me an engine that is half pre 97 2.2 and half what i have now, not sure exactly what that means but they know how ot do it, the half and half is my words not thiers:) he described it differently, heads off one block off another

anyway he said they retrofit all their engines so that they are non intereference, so i am not sure i will really gain anything by having them do the custom, i wrote back and asked what they recommend i do and am waiting for a reply