Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear Shock Replacement - 98 OB Sport

I'm getting a noise from the rear sounding like the tire is rubbing when I hit a bump or go around a corner & hit a bump at the same time. Either side.

Lester (Les Schwab) says "the tires can't ever rub on anything even if the cars suspension is totally compressed". I looked at the area of where the spring is above the tire & it appears to be over the tire by an inch or so. This leads me to believe that "Lester" is not correct and the tire can touch the spring & cause this noise. Would bad shocks cause this? Car has 108,000 miles with original shocks.

This brings me to the question of shock replacement.

I've searched these threads with no luck regarding a "How To". I haven't actually gotten under the car to view the shocks & see if the logical way to replace them hits me in the face! (maybe I should):rolleyes:

I've done shock replacement on Porsche 914's so I have some experience.

TIA

....b

Be sure and note the orination of the top hat with the strut flange when you take them apart, so you can put them back together correct, notice you will have a arrow pointing out on the top hat, mark the orination of this and spring and strut flange with a paint marker before you take it apart. Use a torque wrench to tighten the three small top bolts they will break easy if you over do it.

hey! that works! thanks

......b

Be sure and note the orination of the top hat with the strut flange when you take them apart, so you can put them back together correct, notice you will have a arrow pointing out on the top hat, mark the orination of this and spring and strut flange with a paint marker before you take it apart. Use a torque wrench to tighten the three small top bolts they will break easy if you over do it.

Thnaks TC... where can I find the torque specs?

...b

They are in the Haynes manual, or you can probably find them here. The strut flange bolts are around 100 ft. lbs. I not sure what the top ones are I think it was around 150 in. lbs but check and make sure first.

Thnaks TC... where can I find the torque specs?

...b