Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Quick question... changing the oil pump with AC installed

I know how to do front end engine work without AC... pull the radiator.

If I have AC, how do I do the same? Does the AC condenser pull away from the front like the radiator does (without opening the AC system)? Or should I just leave it there & work from the top?

Also, how do I remove the belt from the AC compressor loop? I think I see the idler pulley I can loosen, but I want to make sure before I go disconnecting things.

-=Russ=-

what do you mean by "front end work"? oil pump, timing belts, cam seals, crank seal, water pump...none of them require pulling the radiator or the condensor. i've never pulled either for that type of work on any subaru...EJ22, EJ25, EA82, EA82T, EA82, ER27.

if you do need to remove it, best not to remove the condensor at all unless you have to, the lines are not very flexible or forgiving.

how do I remove the belt from the AC compressor loop? I think I see the idler pulley I can loosen, but I want to make sure before I go disconnecting things.-=Russ=-

Yep, that's it. Just loosen the idler. It's easier if you move the alternator back out of the way first.

what do you mean by "front end work"? oil pump, timing belts, cam seals, crank seal, water pump...none of them require pulling the radiator or the condensor. i've never pulled either for that type of work on any subaru...EJ22, EJ25, EA82, EA82T, EA82, ER27.

if you do need to remove it, best not to remove the condensor at all unless you have to, the lines are not very flexible or forgiving.

Oh. I pulled the radiator when I changed the timing belts on my old 'DL. I have big hands.

I suppose I'll figure out how to do it without pulling the radiator, then.

-=Russ=-