Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Auto Trans Fluid Change Question

I have 98 Legacy (2.2L) with a auto trans. Car now has 107K on it (purchased it with 101K). I have know way if determining if the transmission fluid has been changed (other then it looks fine and smells fine). Car drives great and no issues with the transmission (other it seems to shift differently when warm, believe this is related to the overdrive or T converter programming ). In the pass I've know people that have changed the transmission fluid (typically at one of those quick oil change business or at a dealership) and shortly after that they had the car in because of transmission issues. What's the concensous here. If it's not broke don't touch it or there's value in purging the old and replacing it with new fluid?

Thanks In Advance...

I have 98 Legacy (2.2L) with a auto trans. Car now has 107K on it (purchased it with 101K). I have know way if determining if the transmission fluid has been changed (other then it looks fine and smells fine). Car drives great and no issues with the transmission (other it seems to shift differently when warm, believe this is related to the overdrive or T converter programming ). In the pass I've know people that have changed the transmission fluid (typically at one of those quick oil change business or at a dealership) and shortly after that they had the car in because of transmission issues. What's the concensous here. If it's not broke don't touch it or there's value in purging the old and replacing it with new fluid?

Thanks In Advance...

I just changed mine in a 93 legacy with 125K. So far so good.

Thanks In Advance...

if you remove the filter and also jack up the car on the front passenger side you will get a lot more out i also second the tip about then pouring it into a windshield washer bottle to determine how much you need to add back in. at the same time i did this i also drained both differentials and refilled with semi-synthetic gear lube and an convinced it increased my gas mileage some

if you remove the filter and also jack up the car on the front passenger side you will get a lot more out[...]

Timintc, if you're referring to the external spin-on filter (like on your 2000?), I believe the '98 doesn't use one. As far as I know, that filter is found on the phase 2 4EAT's, beginning with MY '99.