Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2000 Outback with a 2.5 and it uses approx. 1 litre of oil every 4000 kms.I don't see any evidence of leakage so it must be burning it but it doesn't smoke at all.Where could it be going?Is this normal?

Within tolerances, but maybe slightly abnormal. Clean replace your PCV valve, and Seafoam it while you're at it, then change the oil. Our 2000 Legaback (175,000 mi) uses 1 qt about every 4,000 miles. If it's a qt low, it's time for an oil change anyhow. :brow:

I have a 2000 Outback with a 2.5 and it uses approx. 1 litre of oil every 4000 kms.I don't see any evidence of leakage so it must be burning it but it doesn't smoke at all.Where could it be going?Is this normal?

be thankfull that you don't have a a4 (forth generation) vw golf. i have an 01 2.0 litre golf with 100,000 kms. on it that consumes a litre in 1000 kilometres (that's 600 miles in u.s. terms). my 96 legacy, with 270,000 kms doesn't burn any oil that i can notice.

apparently the golfs of that vintage are known to do this. something about some compression rings being installed upside down at the factory.

vw hasn't made a good vehicle since 1992. the new ones are not owner friendly.....but that's another story.

i'm glad that i have discovered subaru.

regards,

mark

96 subaru legacy wagon

01 vw golf

93 lincoln continental

82 vw scirocco

A liter per 4000 kilometers is possibly above average for the 2.5, but not enough so that I'd be particularly concerned. Even when some oil is being burned, you won't see smoke at the tailpipe if the catalytic converter is functioning correctly. Here's what I've said in a previous thread concerning where oil goes and why claims by some that their engine burns no oil isn't quite valid: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showpost.php?p=501885

It's often short trips from a cold start that tend to lead to more significant gas dilution of oil, giving the false sense that no oil is being burned. If your trips typically are long enough, and the engine gets fully warmed, there is less dilution and oil that's used (burned) is more evident on the dipstick.

As suggested, do check that the PCV valve, etc. are clean and functioning correctly.

You might try a good fuel system cleaner; maybe your rings and pistons are all coked up. But that's not a terrible amount of oil consumption. What brand and weight oil are you using? Are you sure there aren't any leaks? I also have an '00OBW; I don't notice any oil consumption but of course as pointed out there is at least a bit.

You might try a good fuel system cleaner; maybe your rings and pistons are all coked up. But that's not a terrible amount of oil consumption. What brand and weight oil are you using? Are you sure there aren't any leaks? I also have an '00OBW; I don't notice any oil consumption but of course as pointed out there is at least a bit.

I usually use Esso 5w-30